Resting meat at a comp?

Butt Rubb'n BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone rests their meat at a comp. do you pull it off the smoker at 195 then rest it and put it back on later and glaze then pull off and serve or do you glaze rest then serve.

Last edited:
Butts: pull between 190-195... They will continue to cook in a cooler. We glaze/sauce right before building the box. The idea is the warm glaze will keep the meat warm longer... Idk if it's true or not but we sure live ans die by it! Lol

Usually brisket & butts are done by 9A and go into the cambro till we start building boxes.
If you don't have a cambro start looking for one!

Just wondering how everyone rests their meat at a comp. do you pull it off the smoker at 195 then rest it and put it back on later and glaze then pull off and serve or do you glaze rest then serve.

If I understand the rules right.... you're not allowed to return pork to the cooker to reheat or "glaze". Maybe someone else can confirm this?

So what I gather is you finish your meat completely then rest it then take it from the cambro or cooler then slice it and serve it. The last comp I was in I took my butt straight off the smoker and served it. I managed to get second place but a comment card said it was a little dry. Thanks for the info I will try that at next comp.

Back