new here what do you use rub/injection on pork

fordfanaw

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I seen on here someone was asking about brisket, but I was wondering what rubs and injections you are using on your pork butts/shoulders?

Look up Chris Lilly's injection and I'm sure you will find a ton of different rubs being used. We like Plowboy's Yardbird.

We use our own, developed over a LONG time and may hundreds of pounds of
cooked meat. Ends up, however, to be fairly similar to Plowboy's Yardbird. Go
figure...

Butchers Pork injection or Chris Lilly's injection recipe inside are both good and Yardbird or Magic Dust on the outside are both good too.

..so many ways to make a good pork butt....

Butchers pork injection...either yardbird or bovine bold...depends what mood i'm in!:crazy:

thanks everyone.will have to try some of these. cant wait to see what everyone else uses

I don't inject and I use my own rub recipe. I'll slather the butt with yellow mustard and then put a moderate coat of rub on it. I'll let it sit in the fridge (or cooler if at a comp) for a couple of hours (overnight if at home and time permits) to get all gooey. Then into the smoker to do it's thing.

I'll toss some more rub into the mix once it's been pulled, but that's about it.

thanks guys hope to here from some more teams then im going to run a pratice run to see what i like best

thanks guys hope to here from some more teams then im going to run a pratice run to see what i like best

For pork injection, I like apple or other sweet fruit juice such as peach or apricot. Mix that with something that has a little heat, and you also need a flavor base to mix it with. Try a good pork stock if you can find it.

As for rubs, Plowboys Yardbird is pretty nice. If not that, I'd suggest Trim Tabb's or Slabs.

Good luck.

As far a rub goes, I started with a Paul Kirk recipe and changed it over time. I have injected with apple juice and a mixture of apple juice and whiskey. Start experimenting!!!
Feed your family and friends and ask for feedback.

Back