logo

What does it take to start a team?

S

Stiltz6ft9in

I'm just wondering, what does it take to start a team? Supplies, money, # of competitions required, time involved, number of people on a team? I'm thinking I want to get into competition BBQ but I have no clue where to start. Do you start out by helping other teams? Is there some guidelines that need to be followed?

All you need is something to cook on, a way to get it to the site, and enough money to cover the entry fee and the meat (and fuel, beer, etc.) :-D

Seriously, I have seen one person teams up to teams with more people than I could count. Personally I think two people os the minimum, but there are a lot of folks who cook alone. You just have to be good at multitasking.

As far as equipment, you need to be able to cook at least one butt, one brisket, two or three slabs of ribs and 9 or more chicken thighs. hey are not all cooking at the same time, but you may have to juggle a bit to get everything done on time. Lots of teams cook with a couple of WSMs and do well. To me three WSMs is a good setup since you will probably want to cook a couple of butts and briskets and more ribs and chicken pieces to have more choice for turn in.

As far as money, there is an older thread on competition costs. If you factor in meat, rubs, sauces, fuel, entry fees, travel costs, etc., I think an average of $500 per competition, MOL, is a good starting point.

How to get started? i would suffest visiting a Brethren team at a comp local to you first, just to see if you are really interested. Then volunteer to help a team out so you can get a feel for the stuff that happens when the crowds aren't around (tending the pit in the middle of the night, etc.). I would also suggest becoming a CBJ and judging a few comps to get an idea of the turn ins and the quality of the food. Finally, jump on in! You can also look for backyard events near you (rib cookoffs, etc.) and try oneof those.

See the sticky threads aboove this one that are titled "General guidelines to the Competition Forum", and "KCQuers roadmap to the competition, (aka our FAQs)"

After reading through those go through the threads and archives, a TON of information in there. After that ask any more questions you may have and people here will be more than willing to help out. Just watch out though, because once you gete bitten by the bug, your life will forever change! ;-)

Most comps are between $100 to $200 to enter for the grand championship, or $25 to 450 per meat entry. You supply the meat, spices, sauce, cooker etc and those costs obviously vary considerably.

I'm just wondering, what does it take to start a team? Supplies, money, # of competitions required, time involved, number of people on a team? I'm thinking I want to get into competition BBQ but I have no clue where to start. Do you start out by helping other teams? Is there some guidelines that need to be followed?

Pay your $ and take your chances. This forum should have enough info to get you started if you do your research. After you've done that feel free to ask questions.

There are more than a few folks here that have won that are willing to help you. They probably won't come cook for you, but they'll give you some advice. Just remember that it's worth what you pay for it:wink:

Hehehe! Grasshopper, you are feeling the power of the "dark side".:twisted: :shock: :mrgreen:

Assisting another team is a good way to see what a cook off weekend entails.

If you review the archives in the Competition forum you'll find many discussions of "stuff" for the first outing.

- Disposable income
- Strong need for affirmation from others
- Detachment from common sense
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

- Disposable income
I couldn't agree more! LOL

I think the best way to start is to pit b**ch with another team for a couple of comps and talk to the captain about how he started.

Check out the mentoring forum above and maybe start a new thread if you don't see some thing in your area.

It's not too difficult to compete. It's rather difficult to be competitive.

Nobody says you have to enter all the categories. Our first competition, we only did pork butt & ribs.

It's my experience that most teams are simply a group of buddies that pooled their resources and had a good time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it was me I would try to find a one day grilling contest to get your feet wet or even just go to a comp and visit with the teams and ask questions like I did. I was a one man team at my 1st grilling contest and got a 2nd place trophy and three weeks later was lucky enough to nab a 1st with the help of my daughter. It's definetly easier with help. Good luck but do it, it's a ton of fun.

The ability to cook the meats required in the competition and the means to transport all nesessary equipment to and from a competition. The food safety items like cleaners, coolers, thermometers and such to have safe food The man or woman power you deem nesessary to complete all of the above and about $1000.00 per competition you plan to enter. Your list will grow from there with all the cool play toys and gadgets. You can search for competition checklists and get an idea what everyone takes with them.

- Disposable income

Oh hell yes on the above from Plowboy............me and girlfriend at the time visited a little contest, bought a mobile pit and we entered a KCBS contest.

Scared to death and went up against some big guns.
Took way too much equipment but we took 3rd in chicken on our first try.

Done a few more contests and got our lunch handed to us ever since.

Might I suggest you go to the Competetion section, top of page and go to the Mentoring section, offer your services and hopefully you can hook up with a veteran team who will take you under their wings and you will get a dose of a fullblown sanctioned comp.

I'll be in Eagle MI on April 24-25. Take Friday off and drive over and cook with me. You won't learn much from me but you can watch others while pretending to help me.

Serious offer. PM me if interested. I'll also be doing Auburn Hills MI June 26 - 27 but I'll be a lot more serious there and have a couple of helpers signed up so it will be a group thing.

I Agree with Todd. Understand Bull's story. I've mentored one or two people and most went off to form their own teams. Wanted to get away from the bossy control freak. And be careful. It's starts as let's cook a contest and see what happens and ends up touring the country cooking wherever you can.

True Story;
5 years ago, I cooked a pork butt on my Brinkman Cimmaron for a buddy. I now have a wall with a bunch of ribbons, couple of big trophys, roughly $50,000 in BBQ related stuff including 2 trailers and all kinds of small items. Not to mention a $30,000 truck to pull the trailer and a $35,000 shop addition. Oh yea, a catering license, business license, LLC and a big insurance bill every spring......did someone say money.....................come on in, the water's fine!!

BTW - The tenor of my post is not to say "Look at all my stuff", but to illustrate what can happen to a guy who starts with a contest and works constantly to get bigger and better. BBQ has been very good to us. We saved our money from catering jobs which came more readily after a few contest successes.

We do contests wth 2 or 4 people. 2 is plenty.

I forgot to mention that our team will be mentoring a new fellow but your welcome to come and hang with us and Ford if you wish.

Glad you changed your mind Ford and going to make the fun cook.

Eagle would be a great place to see if what you need to get started. It is very relaxed but it is a simulated event so the teams will have all of their gear there and setup like an actual comp.

I cant think of a better person than Ford to show you the ropes (I am being serious here). You will learn lots and if you play your cards right you will eat like a king at Saturday Breakfast!!!

I know it is a bit of a drive but it is worth it and there are Hotels nearby if you dont like sleeping in your truck!!

Back