WSM charcoal grate shaker mod

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren here's a mod I came up with to shake the ashes from my WSM charcoal grate and it actually works.
Picture439.jpg

Picture440.jpg

Picture442.jpg

Picture441.jpg

"Grate" idea.
Where did you get that piece that connects to the grate?

Don't you find the threaded rod "grates" against the sides of the hole it fits through? I would think you would be better off to grind of that section of threads.

Cool mod by the way.

Yup gonna do it! The pic was just a test fit then taken apart and ground down.

Last edited:
I like, I just get so scared putting holes in my WSM. Guess I'll have to just continue the good O'le shake the lid trick.

Good deal, Skidder. I've got 2 WSMs to do a mod on now! This does give me some ideas, thanx :biggrin:.

Goodness Grateious. I never thought I had a need to shake my WSM grate but I like the idea and what you did.

Great idea and very simple, I am going to print this out to give to my friend that bought my WSM. I could see adapting it to a UDS but I use the size 13 method on mine, works like a charm.

There's not a whole lot of space between the grate and the base of the cooker. will you be able to get enough motion to make it worthwhile?
Come to think of it, that grate sits on the bolts sticking through from the legs, yes? They're not very long so if you shake it back and forth, won't you be risking it falling off of them?

No you don't have to move it to much to shake the ash down and if I have to improve on the idea I will.

I hope it works well for you. Its a pretty slick idea.

Back