New UDS and first cook pics

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well I finally have reached the Zen of cooking and have built my first UDS (well not really see below).

What started out as a few questions via pm about UDS design resulted in the construction of the finest cooker I have ever had the pleasure to cook on. This fellow brother not only answered my questions but offered to cut the top and weld the nipples in for me. Next thing I know he delivers a trick finished smoker to me all ready to cook on. I had planned to tackle this project on my own but being the good dude that he is, went above and beyond the call of duty and built this for me. Who might you ask is behind this great deed?? Brother Norcoredneck thanks again man!

My wonderful wife(my toughest critic besides myself) co-workers and neighbors said the food I made this weekend on the UDS was my best ever and to never change a thing in the future with how I cooked it. I attribute that to every positive thing that has ever been said about these cookers before. I have owned several different styles of smokers over the years but none have produced this high quailty of Q. I was close with the BWS Party but I think there is something really special with the UDS.

Here are some pics of my first cook this past weekend. Sorry about the large pics I didnt have time to resize them. Anyway I cooked two Italian sausage fatties, one with sweet and the other with hot sausage both stuffed with mozzarela and rolled in heffer dust. Also cooked an 8# butt, 3 full chicken breasts, and 3 racks of bb's. I spaced snapping pics of the chix and the finished fatties(too many beers mod) so you could say they never happened but they were there mang I swear :biggrin:

I started the UDS with 10# total of fuel consisting of 70% rancher and 30% RO lump with about 6 small chunks of Oak. She ran for 14 hours straight at 225F-250F and never moved an inch up or down unless the lid was off for an extended period of time. I shut her down at 10pm that night and she was still at 100F the next morning with over half of the fuel still left. Simply amazing!

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

And finally nirvana.

DSCN1551.jpg

There are pics of the drum here if you want to see the guts and overall design.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z216/hb-bbq/UDS First Cook/?albumview=slideshow

Those are indeed some fantastic looking ribs. Great job!

no pic of the drum????
Welcome to the drum corps.
Nice pron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great Pron and yes the drums rock!!!

welcome to the drum heads

and Brother Norcoredneck is one of the finest drum fabricators I know and a man with a heart of gold. He saved me tons of time last week when I had to quick build a drum by deheading it and knocking out a basket for me !

Sweet drum! Love the flat black paint, but really love the look of the food that came off it. Good job.

I just need to get the unit that goes inside with charcoal basket on it and everything. I have the drum. Does he fab that himself? Could he make me one?

I must admit that the drum is close to the best cookers I've got (I can't give in to Bubba... His ego would explode!)....

Great looking grub man.... damn, now I'm hungry!

Congrats on the UDS and the first cook! Looks Great!!

I like the lazy man's handle for the ball valve - nice drum and great looking food!

Very cool drum, and the food looks great especially those ribs. Congrats!

I like the lazy man's handle for the ball valve - nice drum and great looking food!
That is Norco's patent pending valve design. He calls it the big belly mod, which I must say suits my beer gut quite well :lol: Thank for the replies everyone!

I had the pleasure of seeing this cooker up close and personal last nite. Norco has truly outdone himself with this one.
I love the design of the fire box. You will not be disappointed in this cooker HB.

Golf claps for Norco...

Back