**Imperial Kamado** CL Score/Restoration Project

**China Pot Metal Restoration**

I removed all the metal parts and will be able to reuse the slide draft door.

100_2536.jpg

Bead blasted and rust free!

100_2540.jpg

Painted and ready to go!

100_2541.jpg

Gotta get moving on these and make way for the BGE!

Nice Craig's list score! Keep the photos coming, Swamprb:mrgreen:
Interesting to note that a bunch of prostitutes were arrested off of a Craig's list sting here in Wichita:eek::shock: Guess you never know what you'll "score" off of the list, huh?:lol:

***Extreme Makeover Kamado***

While researching the history of my Sakura Kamado, I came upon some repair and restoration tips from the Kamado.com site from 2005.

tomjax has graciously shared some pics of an Imperial Kamado Large that he rebuilt and is still using today. CAUTION!! These pics are not for the timid!

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

Seen enough? Are your retinas burnt from the seemingly horrible condition this Kamado is in? Wait it gets better! Tom cleaned the inside and out with wire brushes, used furnace cement on the high temp areas and Bondo in other parts, used a flower pot base on the bottom, primed with Kilz and finished with Krylon Fusion enamel "Sun Dried Tomato"

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021-1.jpg

Tom tells me that his Kamado cracked because he was using a metal firebox from Kamado.com and the expansion of the steel caused it. Nice job Tom!

**Medium Imperial Kamado Update pics**

The Medium is coming along fine, need to order a Stainless draft vent and a couple coats of Red enamel and this one hits the deck!

The firebox is one solid piece now.

100_2548.jpg

100_2549.jpg

Here she is waiting for the slider and a paint job. This is the trolley cart for my Large IK.

100_2553.jpg

100_2554.jpg

100_2552.jpg

100_2551.jpg

Terrific job, Brian. There's a special place in heaven for people like you.

Brian,

That's so cool! I hope I never need your expertise, but its good to know it's there!

Fan"farkin"tastic. Thanks for sharing all the tips and photos Brian.

Paul

Brian:
Be sure to update your resume to reflect the Kamado restoration ability. I think you will move to the top of the line with those qualifications. Your work looks great. I think I'll search for some furnace cement and work on my fire ring. Keep up the good work.

**Little Red**

The Medium is taking on a new identity!

100_2560.jpg

You know I got a thing for Red!

100_2324.jpg

100_2302.jpg

100_2199.jpg

**Chinese Kamado Update**

A couple coats of BBQ Black and then I'll get down to a primary color.

100_2558.jpg

100_2559.jpg

What color should I go with? BGE Green or IK Red/Orange?

I may need to do a poll!

Nice job bro...those have come a long way since Friday...you've been busy!:p

What color should I go with? BGE Green or IK Red/Orange?

I may need to do a poll!

I'm thinking an Easter Egg tie-die psychedelic multi color scheme!! :grin: Drop some acid and let your imagination soar!! (Im kidding on the acid ofcourse)

I vote something with flames!

The Red would look HOT with flames on the dome! Keep you on your toes for the dreaded flashback!

But the Chinese Kamado could also be an early BGE and I plan to sell it so I was thinking of going with either Green or Orange sponged into the Black like these Imperial Kamados

http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_announcement_color.htm

http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_burochure_front.htm

Rusty did his Sakura Kamado like this and it looks pretty sharp!

What do you think?

***Finishing Touches to the Medium IK***

I picked up the bottom slide damper from my local BGE dealer.
(Sutters in Woodinville WA) $41 with the screen. Another very good reason to use BGE parts where applicable- the Stainless steel will not rust out like the original Kamado damper.

100_2562.jpg

A small bead of Permatex RTV gasket silicone for the seal.

100_2563.jpg

Band hinge back on.

100_2564.jpg

Ready to rock!

100_2565.jpg

100_2567.jpg

I'm so proud! What do you think?

Back