**Imperial Kamado** CL Score/Restoration Project

**Firebox Repairs Part I **

First part of the firebox repairs. Fit all the pieces together and used JB-Weld in small batches on the cracked joints.

100_2511.jpg

Put some weight around it to help hold the joints together while the epoxy cures.

100_2512.jpg

After the JB-Weld cures, I'll build up the firebox with Furnace Cement to fill in the missing pieces. This will probably take the longest to repair. Any color suggestions?

Very cool... Can't wait to the next installment!!!!

I wonder if you can use some of the high heat cement to build a "ECB" type version of a ceramic cooker?

**Firebox Repair Step II**

OK- A couple days and two coats of JB-Weld epoxy on the firebox and its one solid piece again. Now I'm filling in the missing sections with Furnace Cement.

100_2516.jpg

I used some fiberglass drywall tape for the cement to adhere to. When it dries and cures, I'll remove it and feather the cement to the contour of the firebox.

Removed all the paint from the lid and gave it a coat of Hi-Temp paint for a base.

100_2513.jpg

Bead blasted the band hinge and daisy wheel vent, and then a coat of paint.

100_2514.jpg

100_2515.jpg

To be continued...

Hmmmm, you must not be a good KC employee otherwise you would have done all that at work!

Maybe you can add Kamado fixer to your resume. Your work looks great makes me feel bad that I didnt take mine apart and do a complete remodel. Keep on truckin, looks like you could give classes or open a story. SD

Very impressive, Brian. I'm looking forward to the next pictures.

By the way, I just used some of the Rutland furnace cement (also from Ace Hardware) to fix my exploded BGE firebox last weekend. So far, it has held up through a low and slow session and a 600F steak cook.

Very impressive, Brian. I'm looking forward to the next pictures.

By the way, I just used some of the Rutland furnace cement (also from Ace Hardware) to fix my exploded BGE firebox last weekend. So far, it has held up through a low and slow session and a 600F steak cook.

Good to hear! My BGE firebox is cracked but not in pieces and I smeared some of the furnace cement on the cracks and it flaked off the inside, but is still adhering to the outside of it. Curing the cement is the key and I didn't do that.

Here is an example, I laid it on a little thick on the bottom of the pot and it got an air bubble in it, so try to spread it on in thin layers and heat it gradually.

100_2518.jpg

**Chinese Kamado/Big Green Egg Restoration**

I've got a Kamado restoration assembly line going at the moment. Here we have a Chinese/Taiwanese Kamado/Big Green Egg that I scored last month for free. The story behind it is, the guy I got it from bought it at a garage sale for $40 and it was new and in the crate, he put it together, cooked on it a couple times and the band hinge loosened and the lid fell off and broke into pieces. He pieced it together and never used it again. Just the project I was looking for!

100_2315.jpg

100_2317.jpg

Let the fun begin!

100_2517.jpg

Awesome! You're inspiring me to get on with the resto of my old kamado, which isn't nearly as complicated as yours! Thanks Brian! :cool:

Awesome! You're inspiring me to get on with the resto of my old kamado, which isn't nearly as complicated as yours! Thanks Brian! :cool:

I always wondered that in your signature line Adrian!

I'm hoping the Mods will add this to the Roadmap, I also have the Sakura Kamado that just needs a paint job. I'll keep this thread going until they are done and I cook on them!

I'm working on my neighbor Doug to clean up his Imperial Kamado!

100_2524.jpg

He bought it from Uwajimayas in Seattle in the late 70's! It's a Large and he's added a Big Green Egg nest, thermometer, and Dual Function Metal Top.

100_2523.jpg

100_2525.jpg

They are grillers and are thinking of adding the side tables.

**Chinese Kamado Restoration**

Here we go on the China Pot! The lid was in pieces so its going to get a couple layers of Epoxy then Furnace cement.

100_2517.jpg

100_2537.jpg

All the parts are in great shape!

100_2532.jpg

100_2535.jpg

100_2534.jpg

Band hinge, slide draft door and metal top are off to the bead blaster.

100_2536.jpg

Trolley will get new wheels from Harbor Freight.

I'm thinking this one will get a Black and Green paint job.

AFter lookin at all the restores. i think my may go ahead and bring back the cracked egg from my FILs house, that ive looked at time and time again over the past 5 years. it has a table and everything, just the bottom portion below the band is cracked all the way around. can that be fixed with the cement u think?

Does the JB hold up to the heat Brian?

It claims a 600* heat rating and it will get a couple layers of High-Temp Furnace cement. I was heat curing the firebox in the oven today gradually up to 500* and it was solid- my wife wasn't pleased!

AFter lookin at all the restores. i think my may go ahead and bring back the cracked egg from my FILs house, that ive looked at time and time again over the past 5 years. it has a table and everything, just the bottom portion below the band is cracked all the way around. can that be fixed with the cement u think?

Jason - bring that bad boy home and get moving on it! Post some pics and we'll assess the damage, it's better than letting it sit.
I've got some downloaded pics of another guys rebuild that was worse off than any of mine and more work than I would have attempted, but he pulled it off. I'll post the pics when I get his permission.

Back