• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Money Muscle

I have heard people that pull it and then wrap it. How do you keep it from going to 200 or do you just slice bigger slices?

You learn something new everyday. So Plowboy (or anyone else), do you go ahead and cook the butt to pulling temp, then just remove the money muscle and sit it aside? Of do ya separate it earlier?

Cook it all to temp in whole, slice, pull, and serve. Here's our box from Pleasant Valley this year... 1st place pork.

Attachments

• 015 [640x480].JPG
    015 [640x480].JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,233
Thanks Todd, those are some good pics. Shows me what I need to know.

Plowboy, is the piece at the top of the box one money muscle from one butt as it looks?

Thank You Plow Boy for Show'n youre Box ! I see why you took 1st good job. Thank's again

Okay, I know there are quite a few muscles, but I labeled these 3 areas on this cross section view for reference......Now which area is this "money muscle" in? A, B or C.

buttmuscle.jpg

The answer is C.

tomorrow, i'll be cooking a couple of butts and trying to get the money muscles off them for the first time. wish me luck.

Money muscle is that little .. oh this is too easy to joke about

I think I got it, but not 100% sure. I didn't know exactly how far back the muscle would go, so I went back a few inches and cut completely through the butt. I then took the piece and lay it on the cuttinig board and cut through the cross section. This is what I found. Question, "Does all three muscles comprise the money muscle?" For those who turn it in, do you turn in all three muscles or just one?

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

DSC04264.jpg

It was very tender!

Matt,
The actual "Money Muscle" is the round section at the top of your big piece (12 o'clock), it's about 1.5"-2" in dia. You need to dig it carefuly out and slice.
The big hubub about sectioning pork is about those that dig the muscle mostly out and let it bark up alomost all the way around.
ModelMaker

Back