Getting ready to go! (Silent Valley)

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm just about all packed up and I'm going to take my last shower for the weekend!:-D

Me and the Four Q BBQ team are headed out to Silent Valley for our first IBCA contest. I'll be sure to take lots of pics!!

Talk to you all soon!!

Neil and team,

Have a great time and some good luck your way from Florida.

TIM

Well the Four Q BBQ Tean is at it again! We are participating in our second Barbecue contest and we
are having a ball. Things are a lot more relaxed because this is a new contest and there are only
six teams. More were supposed to come but couldn’t make it for various reasons. After they hear how nice it is up here in the mountains, there will be a much bigger showing next time.
Besides Four Q BBQ, the other teams are:
BBQ’n Fools
Tropical Heat
Kyles BubbaQ
BLQUE Cutting Edge BBQ
Burnt By The Best
The briskets are going strong and everyone is prepping their ribs.
More info later

Good luck! If you get a chance to read this before you leave, say hi to Tom Brohamer from BBQ'n fools for me. He probably only knows me through the yahoo outdoor cooking group.

Uh-oh!

Briskets hit 180 at 10am. I put them on at 2am. Fire is a constant 225 except for a couple of dips to 215. Might be the altitude. We are at 4000 ft. Turn in isn't until 3pm. I've double wrapped them and put them in a cooler for now. Barrel is still going strong so if I need to put them back in for a while, I can.

Any suggestions?

They'll be fine - the temp in the cooler should have gone up by 10 degrees or so, and the cooler will hold the heat for hours.

I usually shoot for 195 in the point and then hold under a couple of blankets. We usually take the brisket off the fire about 8-9 a.m. and that's for turnin at 1-2 p.m. (depending on the contest). The meat is held in a foil covered pan and is, even after all that time, is still to hot to handle without gloves.

Good luck!

Ok. I'm home and I'm smunky. That's both smokey and funky.

We threw our hat in the ring at this first IBCA contest west of Texas against some big names in California and we held our ground.

We finished 4th in chicken, 4th in ribs, 2nd in brisket and 3rd overall.

Not a bad showing for our second competition, even if it was a small one. We're pretty proud of ourselves right now.

Time to shave, shower and pass out on the couch!!

Bigmista said:
We finished 4th in chicken, 4th in ribs, 2nd in brisket and 3rd overall.

Not a bad showing for our second competition, even if it was a small one. We're pretty proud of ourselves right now.

Great job!

Back