stubbs Natural Briquettes, Go or No ?

Thespanishgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Burned through a bunch of KB with the new WSM, going to be cooking some mo stuff this week and weekend. While I think it's consistent it kinda has a funky smell when it lights up.

I usually use Royal Oak in my acorn but I cant find it anywhere are here so I"m looking for something to stock up on for the winter before everything is gone.

Projects will be Brisket low and slow, Ribs low and slow whole Turkeys

Thanks, you guys have been a great help in cutting down the learning curve, the perfect brisket is still haunting me !

Roger That- go for it

Go, now! I had run through most of the other before settling on Stumps. I'm making my own lump now, but I still keep a few bags of Stumps around, just in case.

I really like using Stubbs in my large WSM - it smells sweet when it burns because there's nothing but compressed hardwood charcoal in it. No fillers, binders, coal, etc.

AND - it burns very evenly. No sudden jumps in temperature.

Definitely worth your time and trouble.

stubbs is all I use for all smoking since I started (only about 6 months ago) and it burns the cleanest, longest, and most consistently for me. I tried RO lump several times for smoking and didn't like the consistency at all - burned too fast and too irregular for my needs. HOWEVER, I do only use RO lump for grilling.

Using Stubbs now and I like it. What you guys think of the royal oak chef select briquettes? Priced about the same per pound as Stubbs.

I like the Stubbs also, great fuel for smoking. I too though use RO lump for grilling and short cooks as it is cheaper than the Stubbs.

I tried using lump in my WSM this year, but I would have to refuel after about 6-7 hrs. Stubbs I can get around 10 hrs or more on one load.

go.... although you may think it smells different as well

For natural briquettes, Stubb's are the only thing I can find locally on a regular basis. Royal Oak normal briquettes and Chef Select are nice but hardly available here. They work well for me.

Hi All,

Burned through a bunch of KB with the new WSM, going to be cooking some mo stuff this week and weekend. While I think it's consistent it kinda has a funky smell when it lights up.

I usually use Royal Oak in my acorn but I cant find it anywhere are here so I"m looking for something to stock up on for the winter before everything is gone.

Projects will be Brisket low and slow, Ribs low and slow whole Turkeys

Thanks, you guys have been a great help in cutting down the learning curve, the perfect brisket is still haunting me !
Where have you seen Stubbs Briquettes in LA? I have only seen the big bags at Wal-Mart and I do not like to shop there (they treat their employees like dirt). Thanks!

Stubbs works well for me! It is available locally at Lowes. Occasionally, they have broken bags that they sell for half price, which makes it really sweet!

Back