Three Levels of Jerky

does it mater how much salt you use for the brine? i've made jerky a few times using a dry rub and mortons tender quick. but it would often come out to bitter/salty even with giving it a quick rinse. I hope to make some jerky this weekend and will give the brine method a try.

Dude, smokehouse for the win. That's outstanding. I gotta get me one of those things. :thumb:

does it mater how much salt you use for the brine? i've made jerky a few times using a dry rub and mortons tender quick. but it would often come out to bitter/salty even with giving it a quick rinse. I hope to make some jerky this weekend and will give the brine method a try.

Tenderquick will make it real salty. I just use non idiozed salt.
I tase the brine to be saltier than you would want to eat but not so bad you make an ugly face.

About 1/4 lb salt per gallon of water and the same or a little more brown sugar. 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon garlic and onion powder. Maybe a touch of liquid smoke if your smoker is low on smoke.

Soak over night, rinse, I then string for my smoker but you may not if you are using racks.

Push the meat to the bottom of the tub and cover with brown sugar. add the teryaki sauce until covered and patt until disolved. Tase for sweetness and add brown sugar if needed. Add Garlic and nion powder and any spice you want. The last I add if using is sesame oil or ginger. Last so it does not mask the taste during the taste test.

Saok for at least a few hours but I prefer overnight. Hang and be prepared for a dripping sticky time.

Add Black Pepper or other pepper as desired (or not) and smaoke at 150 - 225 for 3 to 6 hours depending on the meaat thickness and heat.

Break open and taste test for doneness.

Hope this helps!
SD

Last edited:
Cow Girl has an awesome smoke house and I have seen a few others. Check out her site!

Everyones is a little different but then thats one of the cool things about smoke houses!

Cow Girl has an awesome smoke house and I have seen a few others. Check out her site!

Everyones is a little different but then thats one of the cool things about smoke houses!

Man, I forgot about Jeanie's. She only does cold smoking in there I think? I looked at hers when I was designing mine.

Thanks Smoke Dawg. Your jerky looks excellent and I appreciate the time you took to hang it. lol I know it's not always a quick task.

Man, I forgot about Jeanie's. She only does cold smoking in there I think? I looked at hers when I was designing mine.

I use mine for jerky too. :thumb:

Back