Fire management epiphany yesterday!

MJ_Tenn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been cooking on my Lang 48 reverse flow smoker for the last four months and am really feeling good about fire management. I have used wood as my only source for heat and smoke and it dawned on me that the sticks I was adding was too large. Got my chopping ax out and split my oak and hickory logs into much smaller splits....coke can size just like I knew I should be using and my fire control was quite easy! Gonna smoke two Boston Butts Friday and am looking forward to the control I have finally attained with fire management!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Been cooking on my Lang 48 reverse flow smoker for the last four months and am really feeling good about fire management. I have used wood as my only source for heat and smoke and it dawned on me that the sticks I was adding was too large. Got my chopping ax out and split my oak and hickory logs into much smaller splits....coke can size just like I knew I should be using and my fire control was quite easy! Gonna smoke two Boston Butts Friday and am looking forward to the control I have finally attained with fire management!

How much more often do you have to add wood with smaller splits? How many sticks do you add as opposed to before?

That's the question I was going to ask... I cut smaller chunks but I'm adding pretty often consistently.

That is what works for me. After reading on here I put at least the next split if not two on top of the fire box. How do you use the vents? I have been keeping everything wide open.

How much more often do you have to add wood with smaller splits? How many sticks do you add as opposed to before?

I was adding at about the same rate as before (approx 45 minutes or so) but am now adding maybe two pre-heated small sticks instead of one large one...what a difference it made!

That's the question I was going to ask... I cut smaller chunks but I'm adding pretty often consistently.

Jeff, you might consider adding several smaller chunks instead of just one. I split mine into just larger than what I would call kindling.

That is what works for me. After reading on here I put at least the next split if not two on top of the fire box. How do you use the vents? I have been keeping everything wide open.

Chimney is wide open...rear vent is almost shut and front vent about 1/2 to 3/4 open...I opened the vents a little bit as I added wood to get good air flow. I would leave the firebox door open for a minute or two and then shut it.

I do the same for my Lang 36...the fire box is only 17"...Once I get a good coal bed going...then use splits 9" long and on the small side...maybe 1/8 of the log...this size work great every hour or so for maintaining a 250 deg pit...

I use splits the same size I add 1 every 45 min to run at 300.YMMV

fire control

on my LANG 60 iuse splits the size of pop can or a little smaller leave pinwheels closed on one side full open on other side

I do the same for my Lang 36...the fire box is only 17"...Once I get a good coal bed going...then use splits 9" long and on the small side...maybe 1/8 of the log...this size work great every hour or so for maintaining a 250 deg pit...

What are your pinwheel vent settings? I have a 36" arriving this Sun/Mon.

Small splits were the trick for me also. You have to refuel a little more often, but the fire is very clean and the sticks burn great.

Back