• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Damn kids -> hog cook Friday

That's all.

Boshizzle, thanks for the Shack Attack recipe. Not everyone was as enamored with it as I was, but I WAS. One of the things I really hate with most mustard sauce recipes is that they try to make them sweet, and IMHO sweet and mustard dont mix in BBQ sauce...

A few other sauces presented (as is my norm). Our "Lake Dogs Competition Sauce" was "the bomb" as usually and is still this crowds favorite by a long shot. Speaking of shots, that's what a couple of kids did with some (crazy kids)... Blues Hog Tennessee Red gained a few more fans (still my favorite out-of-the-jar/bottle sauce). My "pot luck" sauce was the crowds second favorite. Pot luck is just the accumulation of left-over sauces from previous BBQ's. It's kind of like chili, where mixing all of 'em together seems to be better than the sum of them individually. It's very good. It is/was the only sauce I presented this time that had any smoke seasonings in it whatsoever.

I hadn't cooked hams in a couple of years. These were good sized ones... I enjoyed the cook, but frankly the quality of BBQ isn't up to par with the shoulders. Next time we'll (which is coming up in a few weeks) we'll probably just cook shoulders.

My double-secret injection (mentioned a few times here and pics shown above of ingredients) has been a consistent hit. This BBQ is as good cold as it is hot, with or without sauce... The rub helps, but especially when doing very large cuts getting flavors down in the meat is really a key to this. That, and keeping it moist (easier said than done with hams).

Did spend a little time "at the lake" yesterday. Time to mow the lawn, then "jump in" for the rest of the afternoon.

Have a great weekend y'all, and Happy Fathers Day to everyone out there with kids.

Anybody ever accuse you of being a pretty darn good cook, Hance?

LOL. Like most here that enjoy cooking, I have my "strengths". Luckily, I guess that BBQ seems to be one of 'em. :razz: I'm just glad they like it.

MOD: The pisser is that now they all said pretty much what we at brethren talk about; can't really eat BBQ out any longer because it's just not up-to-par...

Thank you for sharing your cook! :clap2::thumb:
Sounds like great time with family.

Do you do your comp pork in foil pans too?
Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your cook! :clap2::thumb:
Sounds like great time with family.

Do you do your comp pork in foil pans too?
Thanks!

I do. It's just so much easier and so much less of a mess. We've cooked with fat-cap down for seemingly forever, so there was no apparent smoke loss when we changed over to using pans. At first I was using very shallow pans, then later changed over to the deeper ones; still didnt notice a real change. But boy oh boy are they easier and cleaner, and still moist a ****.

Back