• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do I need to add a chimney?

Scuba-que

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've got a cooker made from an old fuel tank that has worked quite well for me with direct heat charcoal. It has an adjustable vent (like those on a Weber grill) on each end. I'm adding a smoker box to one end of the tank. Should I also add a chimney to the opposite end for better air flow? Or will the vent suffice? If a chimney is a good idea, is there an optimal diameter and length? I'm just getting into smoking, so this may not be my first dumb question. Thanks!

Add a Stack you will need the added draft to keep a Good Clean Fire.

What you are doing is sort of like my grill.. dimensions and pics please! would be glad to help!

in general if i were you i would modify the intake.. and put it below grate level.. opposite the side of the Vertical exhause/smoker box... and go with ample exhaust out of the smoker box in.. ie.a 5 or 6 inch pipe.. that will draw the heat and air that way.. i'm reaching here because i don't know the specs of your current grill.. so.. need those.. to answer correctly

Definitely add a smoke stack. What size tank is it? Mine is a 275 gallon and I used two 4" stacks, 43" each. It provides a near perfect draft with my firebox and reverse flow design. I would check out Feldon's pit calculator for volume measurements to match what you're building.

Attempting to post two pics of what my cooker looks like at the moment. Not quite as sexy as some of yours....yet. It was made from a (approximately) 275 gallon tank. The door near the bottom of one end is where I plan to put the fire box. I want to replace the vent on the tongue side with the chimney, and then one day a smoker box like DownHomeQue.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 95
Back