Lighting my first UDS with fluid?

I normally use a chimney, but I just may do this next time just for fun and to see how well it works. :mrgreen:
It works pretty farkn good I showed my buddy this and it's all he uses now to lite his off set, I haven't used them with a chimney but I'm sure it will work. It's a camping trick.

We used lighter fluid when we first started. Would let it burn off before we put on the meat. That ended, and we bought a chimney starter, when my loving husband got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his hand from trying to re-start a fire when the lighter fluid had burned out and the charcoal had not lit :sad:. Learn from our mistakes and get the right equipment to start.

nothing wrong with using a little fluid.. start the charcoals with fluid in a seperate place.. outside of the uds.. then put your unlit coals in the uds charcoal basket.. (I am assuming your using the minion method) then transfer ashed over coals to unlit coals in the bottom of uds.. and wait about 45 min to an hour.. then start cooking... total time from light to cook will be approximately hour and a half.. this will insure no lighter fluid taste... if thats what you go that is what you got.. you can us the charcoal basket.. to light the coals somewhere else outside the UDS..

Dump the amount of charcoal you want in the UDS basket, make a little hole in the center and take a fist size amount of frito's and put them in the little trench you made and lite them, enjoy and always keep Frito's around:cool:

:crazy::mrgreen:

I prefer AV Gas that 120 octane makes a Kool WAOOOSH when you touch it off:biggrin1:

Build you a little coal pyramid, leave the top of the pyramid off so to create a little divet. soak a cottonball in rubbing alcohol, light it and drop it into the divet. I learned this technique on kamadoguru.com and haven't found a better way to light coals,.

same thing as using weber cubes, but cheaper and more plentiful

Last edited:
I prefer AV Gas that 120 octane makes a Kool WAOOOSH when you touch it off:biggrin1:

Ya need ta try a little acetone sometime. There ain't no whoosh to it. Just a big boom if'en ya do it right er wrong.:doh::twitch:

Procure a magnifying glass and a six pack, aim said magnifying glass at sun, focusing smallest dot manageable on coals....wait, and consume adult beverages.

I don't have a chimney starter, I planned on just taking a full basket of charcoal, putting fluid on it and quickly putting it in the UDS and lighting a match or dropping a piece of paper in it.

Is this a bad idea or a good one?:roll:

BLASPHEMER! :mad2:

My dad made some pulled pork that he was so proud of. We were given a large tub of it, so I gladly warmed it for dinner. It tasted like generic lighter fluid and dirty kingsford! Don't use fluid if you want to eat your food.

I bought a Gigapower 2Way Torch made by snow peak from REI online. The store didn't stock them. They're not cheap but holy cheet that's one little mini weed burner. Use the butane that comes in the can that looks like a paint can, not the stubbie little cans. The bigger cans are 1/2 the price. I get them a Cash -n- Carry. There's a thread somewhere here about it. This tiny little blow torch is a pyromaniacs dream!!! :mad2: :shocked:

Back