• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Question, when it comes to drums do they have to be certain type, I have several friends that have auto repair shops and they have some that have held fuel and oil etc so just curious...

Look on Craigslist for a food grade drum. If not then you can use an automotive drum but you must get it real hot to burn off the toxins before using for cooking.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Question, when it comes to drums do they have to be certain type, I have several friends that have auto repair shops and they have some that have held fuel and oil etc so just curious...

Sucks to say but you should read the thread.

If it held a flammable liquid like oil, I would just burn it out.

You can also buy a gallon of muratic pool acid and pour some in a jar and soak the zinc cover nuts and bolts in that. The acid will take the coating off after a good soak. Ive done that and then hit them with a torch after I washed them.

That led me to my next question so thanks again! Probably going to assemble my charcoal basket with
ll the hardware expanded metal and bucket handle then torch the crap out of it with a propane weed burner. Hehe fire fire! :twisted:

buy an NON food grade drum save you from dealing with a linner, drill the 3 intake air holes and burn it out. Oil drums work just fine just burn them out with a pallet :) I prefer open top salvage drums but oil drums are just fine.

pwa

I will say if you paint your UDS chargers colors your cook will start great but wont finish! So stick with Black and Yellow!!

Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?
Dunno about bucket handles but I'm pretty sure coat hangers aren't galvanized. :)

Look on Craigslist for a food grade drum. If not then you can use an automotive drum but you must get it real hot to burn off the toxins before using for cooking.

The food grade drum I used didn't have a liner.it had butchers blend cooking oil in it. No liner...

i used a 5 gal bucket handle for my charcoal basket but did a test burn with it before actually cookign on it. does the galvanization cause airborn toxins or something?

Sethga, Did you powder coat your drum yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?
I have been looking into building my own oven for powder coating. However I am interested in what it would cost to have it done.

I had someone do it - I have a friend with a powdercoating business. It's about $200 in labor + materials.. Costly? Yup. Durable and awesome looking? You bet!.

I made the mistake of having him sandblast it first as I was planning on welding, but I ended up bolting / riveting everything. They have to sandblast it again before powdercoating, to get any oils from your hands / whatever off of it. Better to just get the drum, make your holes everywhere, and then send it off for blasting / coating.

i used a 5 gal bucket handle for my charcoal basket but did a test burn with it before actually cookign on it. does the galvanization cause airborn toxins or something?

You don't want to open that can of worms...

No that drum would look "flashy" but have "choking" issues at the exhaust creating "inconsistent" cooks.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Hello All,
Having read 6000 + posts, I am still a little confused about the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate you guys are buying.
Is this measurement the weber smoker itself or is it the grate ?
My drum measures 20" internal diameter, so the real question is...would the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate fit inside ?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T

Hello All,
Having read 6000 + posts, I am still a little confused about the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate you guys are buying.
My drum measures 20" internal diameter, so the real question is...would the 57cm / 22 1/2" weber replacement grate fit inside ?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T

No.. it won't.... drums come in different sizes.

the 22.5" grate you talk about fits the 23" Diameter drums.

I don't know if you'll find a grate for your drum... but you should try www.ebay.com ... you find basically everything there.

Hello All,
Any help appreciated,
Cheers and beers
Sam.T

How about buying the cooking grates for the 18.5" kettles? you will likely need longer bolts to hold them in place. Hopefully the length of the bolts won't interfere with pulling the charcoal basket in and out. Another option might be to rig levels in your drum by bolting short lengths of chain that would hook onto the grates. When you take the grates out, the chains would fall to the side and leave plenty of room for basket removal. I have not tried this - just thinking aloud.

Thank you chaps, just found one on the UK ebay, You have come up trumps again, soon time to start my build, nearly have everything I need now, a bit of dry weather and sunshine would help though !

Was doing a walk about west of the UT campus in Austin this morning, and what do my wondering eyes to appear - but a very bright red smoker inside a food trailers (vendor was not open). I would post the picture I snapped of it- but through the window and bugscreen, it does not do it any favors. That said, it had a tag on it and I googled it back to it's manufacturer - http://www.facebook.com/RileySmokers. Will not link to a pic there - but it was a simple but very attractive build. Very possibly used stainless hardware and powder coating (that is my wag - no research to prove it positive).

Anyway was fun seeing another UDS in the wild, and it a place I would never have expected. The trailer was sugar shack bbq - which is a friend of theirs on facebook.

Back