Thread: A pot of chili
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
aawa your chuck and pork chili sound great!! I'd love the recipe if you ever get the time. Thanks!!

2-2.5lbs of chucksteak
2-2.5lbs of country style ribs (i know it is pork butt sliced up )
1 green pepper
2 jalapeno
2 anaheim chiles
1 pasilla chile
* I also added 2 what seemed to be Chile de arbol but not 100% sure since my friend gave them to me and didn't tell me what kind they were*
5 roma tomatos
1 can of stewed tomatos (you could use fresh tomato's here but I ran out and didn't feel like making a run to the store for more fresh tomatos)
1 bottle of a good microbrew beer
beef broth - I used low sodium so I could control the salt a little bit more.
1 large onion
a whole lotta garlic - super accurate measurement there I know
1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
~4 teaspoons paprika
~4 teaspoons oregano
some chili powder - not sure of my measurement on this, I did it to taste and I think i ended up with about 1/4cup

I smoked all the peppers for about an hour and the chucksteak and pork for about 2hrs. I then cubed the meat and diced the chiles after smoking them. The meat I lightly seasoned with salt/pepper.

In my cast iron dutch oven, sweat out the onions, garlic, peppers/chiles. Add the meat and tomato's/canned tomatos and cook down for another hour. Add in the the dry seasonings and let it cook down for 30mins. Add in the beer and beef broth. Cook down to the consistency you want. I would taste every 30mins or so and would salt to taste towards the end of the cook. (Since the beef broth has salt in it, I salted towards the end so the chili wouldn't be too salty for my tastes)

Thanks from: --->