• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

22.5" kettle bottom for a UDS lid?

QandBrew

Got Wood.
Reaction score
My buddy and I recently each built a UDS and are looking for a weber kettle on CL for the lid. Just wanted to get your thoughts on the feasibility of using the kettle bowl for a UDS lid. Thanks.

I'm building two UDSes and am using the kettle for a lid. You can put the top cooking grate at the very top of the barrel and cook a turkey on it.

another guy on here by the name of craftwerks did it also i have been searching for one here too.i think it looks good!

I have a couple UDS with the bottom for the lids. I prefer them to the regular lids. More room as mentioned above and they burn hotter for high heat cooks. I think it is because the vent holes are larger. Bottoms up!!!!!

Butcher that is awesome. How did you get the kettle to fit? What are those little thingys above the thermometer?

Butcher that is awesome. How did you get the kettle to fit? What are those little thingys above the thermometer?

The weber kettle fit like glove when placed onto the lid. My drum was a open ended drum with a draw ring. I measured the diameter of the inside of the weber + 1/4" drew the circle and cut out the center of the lid. Clamped the kettle bottom to the lid ring,drilled 1/8" diameter holes and pop-riveted the whole thing together. I ended up putting a stove gasket and high temp silicone glue all around the kettle.

Those 2 thingies are wooden plugs that fit inside the hose barbs were i feed the probes through it for my Maverick 732.

Thanks for all the info. That's why I love his site. Always plenty of people willing to offer their ideas and experience.

Y'all had me excited for a minute. My spare kettle lid is just a bit too small for my drum, so I was going to cut the top 3" off the spare kettle and weld that to the drum (the lid would then fit on the lip of the kettle that it was made to fit).

For a minute I was thinking that the kettle bottom might be bigger than the lid and therefore might fit my drum exactly.

But then I realized the mistake in my thinking - the kettle diameter is going to be just a bit SMALLER than the lid diameter, right?

(you can see why I don't build things for a living)

Back