Prime Try-Tip at Costco

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
file-38.jpg

I found these Prime Try-Tips at Costco, we were having company over Sunday. I bought these on Saturday
file-40.jpg

file-41.jpg

Morro Bay Rich's Rub
file-43.jpg

I wanted to pick-up some flavor from the Rub so I slatherd with mustard
file-46.jpg

Then the Rub, into the fridge overnight
file-49.jpg

Out of the fridge and more Rub an hour before the cook
file-50.jpg

On the Egg with a raised grid @ 275* with avocado wood for smoke
file-52.jpg

When the interior temp. reached 110* I pulled and covered them while I brought the Egg up to searing Temp. 500*
file-53.jpg

Post seared until internal temp. was 125* then rested for 15-min.
file-54.jpg

Just right
file-56.jpg

file-57.jpg

Served with Rice melamine, Jackie's Cauliflower with a creamy cheese and crunchy bacon, Our neighbor Bill brought a great cold slaw. I really like seasoning the Try-Tip with mustard and a Rub the day before and the post searing, Tender and flavorful

Recipe:

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011
Santa Maria Style Tri-tipRichard Milleraka Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons salt

( I used 2 t salt)

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
Basting Sauce:
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Thanks for looking

Ross

Excellent Ross, great job on the Tri-Tip. I have only been able to find Choice, would love to try some Prime. The rice melamine looks awesome also.

That meat looks sooo tasty. Never had or even seen a prime tri tip.

Can you tell me more about this rice dish? It looks really good also. I've got to bring a side to a get together this weekend, and am racking my brain coming up with something that's really good, AND would travel well.

Looks good

I wish I could jusst find some select tri-tip at our Costcos here in the mid west. They stopped selling tri-tip about a year and a half ago.

Outstading job on the tip. Perfectly cooked and your plating skills are always killer. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Great job Ross! Looks mighty tasty...

I'm going to have to check our Costco this weekend. Last time I looked they had choice for like $7.50/lb so another buck fitty would be well worth it for prime! :thumb:

Back