Natural gas

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just read that a natural gas company is installing pipeline to include my area. I can't wait to get a decent gas range in my kitchen. Currently I have a glass top electric and I hate it, you have to wait for it to come on and heat up, not much real control and after using it you can not set anything on or near that burner for a good while. With gas when its on its on and you only need to heat the pot or pan, when its off its off and although the grate may be warm for a bit it cools a lot quicker than electric glass tops. Another plus I can use any kind of cookware, glass porcelain even if I want cast iron which the electric stove manufacture will not honor a warranty if its used.

I could have installed propane but really did not want a tank in my yard. Anyway guess I should start looking for a new natural gas range and maybe even an outside natural gas grill, no more lugging propane bottles back and forth, waiting on a sales person to replace it. I still bbq and smoke but I just think a gas range is so much better than electric. Ok now I am thinking a nice gas assist starter would be nice.
Dave

I love NG, and use it for my stove inside, and my gasser outside. Great control. Nothing better. You'll be so happy with it. :thumb:

I love NG, and use it for my stove inside, and my gasser outside. Great control. Nothing better. You'll be so happy with it. :thumb:

Oh little does my wife know of my plans. I see mass quantity's of green backs being spent and my retirement funds being altered.
Dave

Ah, but NG is such a pleasure to cook with, Dave. I am spoiled rotten now, and would have a hard time switching to something else. :smile:

Ah, but NG is such a pleasure to cook with, Dave. I am spoiled rotten now, and would have a hard time switching to something else. :smile:

I can agree since I used it for years in restaurants but have not had it in my personal kitchen in a long long time.
Dave

I'm a huge fan of cast iron, so I got the 6-burner stove with the cast iron grates. I can bang my cast iron skillets and dutch oven down on them, and not have to worry I'm scratching anything. Love, love, love it. :thumb:

Congrats on getting natural gas.

Be prepared for the surcharge on the fee on the tax (25% of my gas bill is taxes).

Then when they put the contract out for bid (they will tell you, to get the lowest price), your bill will go up another 25%, due to neccessary infrastructure upgrades.

Then when your town, county and school district figure out you have gas service and are a source of "revenue enhancement", your bill will go up another 25%.

Then the EPA gets involved and requires part of your gas comes from "green" sources, then your bill goes up another 25%.

Eventually you and all your neighbors will be charged a monthly access fee, even if you don't connect to the gas main, just because it's on your street.

I live in New York state and get farked on all my utilities.

Sorry, this is really "Wood Pile" material.

Have nice day!

Bob

Last edited:
Go with an underground propane tank. You can deal with a small retailer if you choose. You can prebuy your fuel when it's cheap. You can run a high pressure line outside for your charcoal starter weedburner or fish cooker burner. Put a small stove eye cooker outside so you can fry outside to keep heat and smells out of the kitchen. Propane gives you worlds of options natural just does not.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting natural gas.

Be prepared for the surcharge on the fee on the tax (25% of my gas bill is taxes).

Then when they put the contract out for bid (they will tell you, to get the lowest price), your bill will go up another 25%, due to neccessary infrastructure upgrades.

Then when your town, county and school district figure out you have gas service and are a source of "revenue enhancement", your bill will go up another 25%.

Then the EPA gets involved and requires part of your gas comes from "green" sources, then your bill goes up another 25%.

Eventually you and all your neighbors will be charged a monthly access fee, even if you don't connect to the gas main, just because it's on your street.

I live in New York state and get farked on all my utilities.

Sorry, this is really "Wood Pile" material.

Have nice day!

Bob

Man you are harshing my mellow. I have heard nothing of all these additional charges, not that I am disputing them and it will not surprise me at all if this is the case here.

We are being told only that it is much cheaper than propane or electric. I will call them this week and see if they will clear some of this up because if it is like you say more then 100% more than the cost of the gas its self, I will need to know just what the final cost to me will be. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else experience this kind of additional expense and is it cost prohibitive.
Dave

Go with an underground propane tank. You can deal with a small retailer if you choose. You can prebuy your fuel when it's cheap. You can run a high pressure line outside for your charcoal starter weedburner or fish cooker burner. Put a small stove eye cooker outside so you can fry outside to keep heat and smells out of the kitchen. Propane gives you worlds of options natural just does not.

What are these worlds of options of which you speak. I have never seen a buried tank in my area, Don't know if it is just cost restrictive to most or it is not something authorized here.

Cooking is all I want it for so a large tank would probably not be necessary, I am guessing around 250gal. I did think about propane at one time, even thought about ways to disguise it by making it look like a Lang or Meadow Creek offset. I got the idea from a guy around here that has his made up to look like a submarine he worked on while in the Navy.
Dave

I do not have NG in my area so am of no help there. With LP and home tanks, if you are only going to cook with it any company will charge you a fee to install the tank, and an annual service charge if you do not use a minimum (usually around 300gals/yr) amount. Either way, installation fees for either will add to your final costs. The gas company will only bring it to your nearest exterior wall and set a meter, from there to the final usage point you will have to pay a plumber to pipe in. A 250gal above ground take is usually set free of charge and they might pipe right to your stove & grill for a minimal charge.

We just switched out our electric stove for a NG stove and love it. Have always wanted a gas stove since moving in here 12 years ago. (The stove was here then.) Had gas stoves in Texas prior to moving to Georgia, and was spoiled to them. The electric finally gave up the ghost and we made the switch to gas. Luckily the house was already piped for gas, so the transition was painless. Looovve my gas stove and oven. So much more control over your cooking.
BOBM, you need to move from that there "Yankee state, and come on Down heah! We have no such add on's to our gas bill. Some, but not excessive. My gas bill has only increased a very small amount since the stove was installed. The electric bill has come down a little I think, (it is still summer, and it costs more to cool in this heat). Will know for sure when things cool down.

We just switched out our electric stove for a NG stove and love it. Have always wanted a gas stove since moving in here 12 years ago. (The stove was here then.) Had gas stoves in Texas prior to moving to Georgia, and was spoiled to them. The electric finally gave up the ghost and we made the switch to gas. Luckily the house was already piped for gas, so the transition was painless. Looovve my gas stove and oven. So much more control over your cooking.
BOBM, you need to move from that there "Yankee state, and come on Down heah! We have no such add on's to our gas bill. Some, but not excessive. My gas bill has only increased a very small amount since the stove was installed. The electric bill has come down a little I think, (it is still summer, and it costs more to cool in this heat). Will know for sure when things cool down.

I have a Sister living in the New York state and man when she tells me the cost of living I want to faint . They are absolutely taxed to death and charged for everything to the max. I can only hope we in Mo. don't go that down that path.
Dave

Induction cooking is the supposed future. i don't have it, i have NG, stove and furnace. Even with all the extras, NG is still way cheaper than electric.

Induction cooking is the supposed future. i don't have it, i have NG, stove and furnace. Even with all the extras, NG is still way cheaper than electric.

After hearing what Dave pays per month for a totally electric house, I'm not so sure about that. I may just move where he is! :eusa_clap

What are these worlds of options of which you speak. I have never seen a buried tank in my area, Don't know if it is just cost restrictive to most or it is not something authorized here.

Cooking is all I want it for so a large tank would probably not be necessary, I am guessing around 250gal. I did think about propane at one time, even thought about ways to disguise it by making it look like a Lang or Meadow Creek offset. I got the idea from a guy around here that has his made up to look like a submarine he worked on while in the Navy.
Dave

In our our area propane service is so competitive. All of the new nice homes have tanks buried. As far as minimum gallons and service charges it all depends on the company which is another reason it has electricity beat. If you feel handy you can do alot of the work yourself or have it done by code and a company will come inspect it, leak test it and you are good to go. Now they prefer you use some fuel so the more you use the cheaper....again something electric companies can't offer. Check the companies....especially any family owned companies for deals and programs.

Back