How many comps?

TKEBH989

Found some matches.
Reaction score
When you guys were starting out, how many competitions a year did you do? Also, how long did it take to get your first call? We have been doing 1 a year, but want to increase to 2 or 3. We're still waiting for our first call.

1st and 2nd year did 2. calls/walks in both(RGC in 4th). 3rd year signed and paid for 5. 1 call so far.

Second pro contest got a 4th in chicken.
Year 1: 9 contests
Year 2: 12 ""
Y3: 24
Y4: 25
Y5: 30
Y6: 34
Y7: 26
Y8: 23
Y9: 13 so far :thumb:

Last year was our my first and I did 9. And that was after thinking we would only do 3 or 4. Took 7th in brisket in 3rd Pro event. This year I've already done 5 and will do around 15ish. Stuff is addicting and I like it :becky:.

First year and first contest we got two calls and a DQ. It's our 4th year and we about 6 per year, every year.

Up here in the wild north we don't have that many comps a year. I had a walk in ribs at my second event.

Year 1: 5
Year 2: 9
Year 3: Planning on 9 or 10

Our first three years we did one comp.
Got two calls at our very first comp in 2008.
Last year we cooked two comps for the first time, and won our first category.
This year it looks like we'll do three tops.

This is our first year we are doing 5 or 6 our second one is this weekend. Our first comp 8th Ribs, 6th Chicken, 6th Brisket, 5th pork and 3rd overall.

This is our first year, and we plan on doing about 15 contests. We were lucky and got two 2nd place calls in our first contest. The next few, we didn't get any calls.

After the Kap'n pushed me out of the nest, it was my third or fourth comp before I got my walk in chicken.

First year I think I did 5 or 6 comps, 2nd year I did 8 or 9, last year I did 15, this year I'll finish out with 13.

Russ

Disclaimer; I'd judged tons of BBQ competitions and cooked in TONS of chili contests before competing in BBQ:

walked in first comp, walked in everything 2nd comp and RGC, wheels fell off 3rd comp and was bottom 1/3 in everything except brisket (learned more on this comp than all others before or since combined), walked at least one time every contest since, last contest was a few years back and walked in everything except ribs and won almost every ancillary too...

my worst competition outing was at a fairly local contest (where I was known), and that was bad. my 2nd best outing was my last competition and pretty much stayed on stage (except for ribs), and that was here in town in front of my homies (redeeming).

Yr1: 1 contest, no calls and I knew right away I needed some help on how to do this stuff right! I was addicted already and I needed to shorten the learning curve. I took a couple of classes right away!
Yr2: 4 contests (2 FBA & 2 KCBS). I ended up with 8 calls, a RGC & another top 5 overall.
Yr3: Co-cooked the first 2 comps this yr with a good friend of mine (Smokin Hoss). Got 3 calls in those two comps. I cooked Barnesville with my regular partner and ended up 3rd overall with 3 other calls. I plan on cooking at least 4 more this yr.
I’d love to be able to cook 10 – 12 a yr! But with work, kids….and we have a new addition this yr :-D, it’s just hard to find the time and especially the $$$.

We did 4 our first year, at the fourth, we tied for 2nd place pork but lost the TB
6 our second year, with 3 or 4 top 5 calls
6 our 3rd year, with 8 or so walks
only 3 last year, wheels just about literally fell off - one walk, a 3rd in brisket
This is our 5th year, so far 2 comps, two calls, but getting used to a whole new trailer adds a bit of complexity, but at the same time, makes many things way easier!

I still hope to get in 2 or 3 more, and we have 2 parties we are scheduled to cater, one for 60 the weekend of Kenosha, and another in late July. Hopefully we can get to everything!

My first contest was in Sallisaw in 2006. Took 3rd in brisket...

I've cooked as few as two and as many as twenty two. A total of seventy or so. Only two without a call, but still chasing a gc...

My first contest was in Sallisaw in 2006. Took 3rd in brisket...

I've cooked as few as two and as many as twenty two. A total of seventy or so. Only two without a call, but still chasing a gc...

it's farkin crazy how some teams go out and win GC after GC, and others chase it for years.

i mean after 70 plus events i'm sure you know a thing or two about competition cooking and yet?

seems to me something in the system isn't quite right. (please, i'm not flaming, really).

first comp I walked and one best first time cook..a wsm! Been walking ever since (10 years and counting) but have yet to hit that GC. Plenty of 3rds and RGC's.

Are you guys still smoking on your original smoker? I started with the Brinkman smoke'n pit, but recently built my UDS and I love it. I think I might still be tinkering with stuff a bit too much, but that's half the fun.

I started in backyard in 2003 -- got all kinds of grief from folks who figured since I'd been around, I should be in pros. Won sauce, which sucked me right in to the thick of it. 2004 I became a judge, went to Dr. BBQ school, judged some to learn. 7th contest I got 2 top 10 calls and a DAL. I do about 12-17 a year. I've won 2 GC, only one was a qualifier. I'd do more if I could.

We did a couple of contests before we got our first top-10 call, but we'd had nearly a year of intensive practice, once or often twice per week, one to four meats each time.

We went from 5 contests our first year, 16 contests our second, to anywhere between 21 and 28 contests in succeeding years. Our youngest boy's illness put the brakes to that, this year will probably end up looking a lot like our first year!

Still cooking on WSMs, but we're on our second set because the first set got banged up a lot getting trailered all over the landscape.

Back