THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

BobM

Babbling Farker
I got a new Maverick ET-732. I Ordered it from fellow brethren "5-0 BBQ". Good price and it came in 2 days (nice job Steve). I am going to use it on my Weber OTG and WSM. I did not want to run the probe wires through the lid. I took some ideas I've seen here, and on other forums, and came up with a plan.

I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" of electrical running thread (used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD. I got 2 locknuts and one pipe cap (plumbing) for it.
grommet011024.jpg

On my 18/1/2" WSM, I drilled a 1/2" hole, centered between the grate supports, and one inch below the top grate, and mounted the nipple.
grommet031024.jpg

The probe wires fit through it great.
grommet051024.jpg

If I don't want to use the thermometer, I can put the pipe cap on the outside of the nipple, sealing it.
grommet041024.jpg

I did the same thing to my 22 1/2" OTG.
grommet071024.jpg

grommet111024.jpg

grommet091024.jpg

With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I tested my new ET-732 on some hot and cold water, and all seems working good. I am going to use my new ET-732, and my new custom grommets, for the first time tomorrow, on a spares cook (barbeque probe only).

It looks good to go!

Bob

Nice mod THx for sharing I might just do this to mine to use it more, ya did you tape where you were going to drill? How did you go about getting nice clean holes?

I want to know about the doo hicky that you have that holds the pit temp. probe. I just lay mine on the grate, but I like what you have there.

I guess I didn't look in my box well enough and it is long gone :(

Yeah, the pit probe clip came with the Maverick.

To make the hole, I put blue tape on the outside and marked out where I wanted the hole. I started with an 1/8" drill bit, then went to a slightly larger size 4 more times, with the last being 1/2" (total of 5 holes). That way no one cut takes off too much material. I then cleaned up the inside of the hole with a small rat tail file. A small step bit would also work well.

I didn't mention this in my original post, but when you make the nipple, make sure you deburr the cut end, especially the inside.

Bob

Last edited:
Every time I come on here, I stand amazed at the ingenuity of the Brethren on this board.

Whether it be something simple, or something complex, you guys seem to come up with a great idea. My hat is off to you!

I used my new ET-732 tonight for the first time (pit probe only). It was easier to use a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil to hold the probe then the holder clip that came with it. The unit worked very good.

My idea of using a piece of aluminum foil to seal the grommet worked well.

Back