Short Money Muscles

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK OK after the jokes about the title subside, I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. Most of the Pork Butts that I have been checking out in the store, have had a MM that was shorter in length than what I had previously been seeing. When I first learned how to identify it, I had no trouble finding a Butt with a Money Muscle that went the whole width of the end of the Butt.

I'd like to get them longer, so that its easier to get six good slices out of it.

Anyone else noticed this?

I went through about 5 cases at RD and the money muscles were short and the butts were smaller than normal. I found what I needed but they weren't as nice as I've picked up as recently as three weeks ago.

I hit 3 Sams down there for butts for Mobile. I had to settle with crap and my scores showed it. I always like to use fresh..but wish I had taken frozen with me.
But to answer your question yes I noticed it. I hit the Sams at Pensacola, Mobile and Gulfport.

Yes, seen the same thing around here. The last two I got for practice, had to use MM from both butts to get 6 good slices. Sure hope I don't have to do that at a contest.

They begin showing up here in my little 'burg like that months ago. I posted the same thing. What I saw happen was they started slicing the butts 90 degrees different than they used to, and thus a smaller money muscle. Anybody got any idea where the good cuts went? They gotta be on some cut of meat somewhere!

Sorry for the ignorance, but is there an easy way to locate the money muscle?

Sorry for the ignorance, but is there an easy way to locate the money muscle?

Opposite the bone end, on the end, striations that confirm its a muscle.

"nice" ones run the length of the butt.

Had the same thing happen couple of weeks ago whlist shopping for the Santa Anita Comp. I politely asked the butcher to see if he could find me a butt in the back approximately 9+lbs. versus the 6 and 7lbs they had in the display case. I got lucky!

I got two 9+ butts Sunday in OKC and one had a decent MM and the other had about half the width of the butt for a MM. There was good muscle around the bone and a few things I learned at Scottie's class made these Butts very good finds for this week.......

not seeing this around here, just picked up a 23 lb 2 pack of ibp for next weekend that the MM is a beauty. there were probably 2-3 more packs like it in the cooler.

Went shopping at RD yesterday. Couldn't find a 2 pack over 13lbs. They had been running 18-20lbs.

just ate two of some of the biggest MM's i've seen up here in CT from RD.

i do see the either chopped or very small MM from time to time though.

it does take me a solid 1/2 hour to pick a 2 pack.

It's supply and demand. When demand for pork is up, the industry slaughters younger animals to meet the need. When the market is soft, the hogs are held on feed longer and therefore get bigger.

It's supply and demand. When demand for pork is up, the industry slaughters younger animals to meet the need. When the market is soft, the hogs are held on feed longer and therefore get bigger.

See that makes sense, but I'm not sure its purely an issue of the overall size of the butt. Most of these small Money Muscles have been on butts that are in the 9 lb range. I haven't had any trouble finding butts that are over 7 lbs, its just that the Money Muscle itself is smaller.

Could this have to do with overhead costs?
Pigs were sent to market this Summer now we have younger hogs in the slaughter house
That was the case with beef this past Summer
Pigs don't have the same timeline to market
Maybe the Butcher will show up and have a thought on the topic

Back