NY State Championship - Grillkings

What a day!

Congatulations to all you guys who competed yesterday and thanks for all the great bbq! First event I've been to. Had the opportunity to meet, chat and eat with Phil, Parrothead and others (bad at names). Barbara, Phil's wife, was promoting and selling Brethren logo t-shirts,, snapping lots of pics. Fine lady, smiling, real easy to talk with. Thougt she was a model hired for the day! Phil, You're a lucky man bro!. Great time, good people. Phil's brisket, ribs were excellent. He won 1st place for his pork, the only thing I didn't try. Came home, hopped in the pool, took a quick snooze and blasted out on the Hog for a trip out to Pt Jeff. So full, didn't eat the rest of the day! When's the next one????
Tom :D

RE: What a day!

Congratulations to all our brothers out there on a job well done both in MO and NY. We WANT PICS!

Re: What a day!

t-bone49 said:
Barbara, Phil's wife, was promoting and selling Brethren logo t-shirts,, snapping lots of pics. Fine lady, smiling, real easy to talk with. Thougt she was a model hired for the day! Phil, You're a lucky man bro!.

I thought Phil's wife was Sharon, or am I confused? Or... does Phil have two wives? :D

RE: Re: What a day!

A big thanks to all of the help that we had cleaning up. Mel and smoker, that was invaluable, and great getting to spend some time with you.

Bruce, Brooklyn, Paul, Phil, greast teaming up with you! What a great time!

All the other brethren that stopped by and said hi, nice to meat you. Wish I could have had more time to chat.

More later, trying to catch up.

RE: Re: What a day!

WAY TO GO Brothers!!!! We are so proud of you guys!
Gongrats to DrBBQ, Phil, Parrothead, BrooklynQ "Brothers In Smoke"! We need Pics as soon as you can!

Re: RE: What a day!

Neil said:
Congratulations to all our brothers out there on a job well done both in MO and NY. We WANT PICS!

Why? Just to prove that pictures can be posted? :lol:

CRS can't remember s...

Told ya in the last post i was bad remembering names! Sharon was lovely! Barbara was a lady I met who runs her own fishing charter boat out of Mt. Sinai. Can outfish most of the guys. For you local LI guys she can be contacted through http://www.noreast.com/homepage/index.
She posts as 1moredrift and is a moderator. I keep meeting all these great women, but they're all married. Damn!!! This is a link to her webpage. http://www.noreast.com/listings/view.cfm?type=charterboats&region_ID=0&id=414&subregion_ID=9
Maybe I should start smoking fish. ANyone ever do striped bass?

team

it was a great experience for me to compete on the same team as phil,rob,greg and paul. it was a pleasure and hope to it again soon. and i dont care what anyone thinks we should of one chicken also it was farking great. we did learn however that brooklyn q is phils long lost twin.

Congrats to all!!! I know you all had a great time!! We had our Brethren Banners flying proudly!!

Re: RE: What a day!

Trout_man22 said:
Neil said:

Why? Just to prove that pictures can be posted? :lol:

Thanks for a good laugh Trout. And to asnwer your question, YES!

RE: Re: RE: What a day!

It was great seeing Phil again, and meeting all the rest of you. I had a GREAT weekend!!

Well what can I say. I registered last week on the website. I showed up at GrillKings on Saturday and introduced myself to Brooklyn, parrothead and Phil and Paul. It didn't take 30 seconds and they were shoving wings and pork chops in my face. I went back to the car, grabbed a few fold up chairs and a cooler full of cold drinks and sat down with "the Brethren". Everyone was so friendly. I stayed for 4 hours untill it was time to go pick up the wife at work. I left the chairs and cooler there overnight for everyone else to use. I came back Sunday with the wife and helped with whatever I could. Soon I was handing out pork to a line that never ended.(I swear some people were getting a piece and going back to the end of the line). It was a thrill to see Phil and the gang win. The wife and I stayed till the end and then we helped break everything down.

What a GREAT bunch of people. If you haven't tried competing, give it a try. Hard work but you will have a great time and meet some great people.

Phil, give Sharon a big thanks for chatting up my wife. My wife is very quiet but everytime I looked over to check on her Sharon was keeping her involved. That meant alot to me.

You guys haven't seen the last of me.

Steve

Right now, I'm listening to R.E.M's "everybody hurts sometimes." God, everything hurts right now. But it's a good hurt and I'm ready to do it again on Friday.

What can I say? It was another incredible weekend. Phil, Greg, Paul, Bruce, Steve and all the other Brethren made this a great weekend to be with the brothers.

Phil is now a minor celebrity on Long Island. I must have heard from at least 100 people that they came out to the contest because of his article in the paper. And I must have heard from at least 50 others, "I saw you in the paper." Contrary to popular opinon, I DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHIL. I'm much better looking. :wink:

And the best part is we walked. I don't think that any of us expected to. Unlike the other teams, when they called the Brethren - Brothers in Smoke up for pork, the entire team went up on the platform. There wasn't enough room for us. I hope someone got a picture of that.

See you in New Jersey for next weekend's battle.

Any chance someone can post the actual results? :D

Smoker said:
Well what can I say. I registered last week on the website. I showed up at GrillKings on Saturday and introduced myself to Brooklyn, parrothead and Phil and Paul. It didn't take 30 seconds and they were shoving wings and pork chops in my face. I went back to the car, grabbed a few fold up chairs and a cooler full of cold drinks and sat down with "the Brethren". Everyone was so friendly. I stayed for 4 hours untill it was time to go pick up the wife at work. I left the chairs and cooler there overnight for everyone else to use. I came back Sunday with the wife and helped with whatever I could. Soon I was handing out pork to a line that never ended.(I swear some people were getting a piece and going back to the end of the line). It was a thrill to see Phil and the gang win. The wife and I stayed till the end and then we helped break everything down.

What a GREAT bunch of people. If you haven't tried competing, give it a try. Hard work but you will have a great time and meet some great people.

Phil, give Sharon a big thanks for chatting up my wife. My wife is very quiet but everytime I looked over to check on her Sharon was keeping her involved. That meant alot to me.

You guys haven't seen the last of me.

Steve

Welcome to te family, seems like you may be hooked.

sory ladies.. results are on the way with al ong winded post. Had to work today, and spent the night taking everything off the trailer, pressure washing it and reloading. half is still out on the driveway. Robs right.. everything hurts. Arthritis in the knees and standing on blacktop for 20 hours just does not go well together. Will post in a few. But final strandings.

4th overall

1st in pork
5th in brisket
12 in chicken
17 in rib(choked on that one)
4th in sauce (congrats Greg!)

open event. 10 in pork chops.

and notice this.

1st..... Dr BBQ.. A Brethren
4th Brothers in Smoke.. A brethren
5th Big Island BBQ .... A Brethren (nycbbq)
7th I love smoke -n-lightening.. A brethren (Rbsnwings).

4 of the top 10.... are one of us. :twisted: Fear the Pig!

We may be plagued with the curse of 4th place. 3 fourth place overall in a row... but this time in front of us were Ray Lampe in 1st, Dirty Dick in 2nd, Philly Pigs Pro BBQ in 3rd.. and then us. Coming in 4th out of 36 against those guys is fine with me. Daisy Mays BBQ was suposed to be the team to beat, but they took 16th.

Had a great time, the best yet.. Will follow up with details.

Congrats, Mr. Poo! Great showing! Hey, how long does it take to get a Brethren team banner made up?

Jeff_in_KC said:
Congrats, Mr. Poo! Great showing! Hey, how long does it take to get a Brethren team banner made up?

i put the order in every tuesday they go out the following day.

Back