smokeking/bandera arangement?

D

dswfondy

Hello again,

For those of you that use either a bandera or smoke kingD, is there any certain way you have your different meats aranged inside the smoke chamber for competion. Just wandering if any certain way helps the air flow. Thanks for all the help so far.

Dswfondy

Branson's BBQ

As a Bandera owner, I would think you would place your meats in according to the warmer or cooler temps of the different parts of the smoker box, just as you would cook any Q. That, and as some have mentioned putting the poultry at the bottom, so the juices don`t contaminate the other meats.

For a comp setup in a 'dera/SKD I would first eliminate chicken from the load and cook that in something else. Ideally one would want to cook chicken at a much higher temp than you would ever want on butt/brisket/ribs. Weber Kettle or WSM as a companion to the vert would do nicely.

For the remaining 3 catagories in the vert cooker I would start with the brisket(s) above the butts where the temps will be a bit cooler (door therm level is my favorite spot for briskets). That will carry you through til early Sat morning when the ribs need to go on. At that point butts should be ready to wrap and will be fine about any where, briskets too if you wrap them before they are done.
I like to cook ribs just below the handle in the vert, this should be easy to accomplish with butts and briskets wrapped.
As far as arrangement for good flow, try to alternate you cuts one towards the left, the next to the right as to force flow all thru the cooker and not leave channels for the heat/smoke to bypass stuff. This staggered arrangement will probably require occasional rotating of racks which I usually try to do just after an addition of fresh fuel when there is usually a bit of a temp spike anyway.

Best of luck!

I agree with KC, but feel that you could still do the chicken on in the vert. chamber. In my Bandera, a rack placed just above the water pan is the hot spot. You could do the chicken there, and then roll the skins over a grate placed in the firebox and the end to crisp them up. Still, using a seperate grill/smoker may be the ideal way.

I've done both methods that KC and Bigdog recommend, although not for competition. Both work well but I think at a competition I'd do the chicken in a separate cooker.

Thanks guys

I have bought a lil grill that i ight do the chicken on. thanks for the all the great info, and ideas. Any of you have a piece of sheet metal instead of the grill over the fire box?

thanks,

Dswfondy

branson's BBQ

Any of you have a piece of sheet metal instead of the grill over the fire box?
I use the factory ashpan on my SKD to prevent heatloss via the lid. I only use it on windy or cold days when the extra btu's come in handy.

Back