Cost per lb for Tri-tip?

That is about middling, I have seen as high as $6.99 and as low as $4.99 of late.

Bought a case last month from our local Costco. About $270 worth of Tri tip for 4.23 a pound.

On sale, select, untrimmed at the grocery store can run 1.99 - 2.49/lb. Normally they're about 3.99/lb.

when you can find them down here, they are about eight bucks a pound.

4.67, I was quoted for angus by the case though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Untrimmed are reasonable many times around here in So Cali. which means between $2.50 to 3.00lb, Select. Trimming close seems to add up to about 7% or so waste. Most of us trim to meat level.

Why not go to a liter trim and use that layer of fat in the cook, maybe get a crisp portion (ala steak) which might possibly earn us around 5% waste?

Keep in mind Vons "Ranchers Reserve", Ralphes, Albertsons sales id for untrimmed select meat where Costco is choice and trimmed very well. I bought a cryo bag at costco for ~ $4.24/lb that was "Pealed". Still had a little fat which is good. Very tasty.

It's getting harder and harder to find it trimmed for under $4.00 a pound. In fact, I don't think I've seen a 3.98 sale for months. Smart 'n Final in my area has untrimmed bulk for $3.29 a pound, but it looks pretty messy. I just can't bring myself to pay more than $4 though. Just seems wrong to me, even though everything else is going up right along with it.

I went to "butcher on the Block" in the Chicago subburbs and paid about 4.99 a pound. I wish Costco had it in our area, I think their tri-tip had more flavor.

Back