The BBQ Brethren, from the Backyard to the American Royal

CTSmokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When I joined the Bandera Brethren, the focus was on New Braunfels Bandera. I loved Bandera 101. My brother in law who does auto body souped it up... this was an upgrade from my NB Black Diamond that he also souped up...With what we learned from the website and trial and error we felt confident enough to do a competition or two with our back yard equipment and did very well....Thanks to my mentors, Purple Turtles, I had the opportunity to go to the American Royal Invitational and Open in 2007....

After watching Derek Jeter get his 3000th hit with a home run and 5/5 hits and a stolen base...

I just wondered who else has gone from the Backyard to the American Royal...BBQ Brethren's motto?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Cliff, I joined much later than you, and still consider myself a guest here. But I know the knowledge and advice I have gotten is unmatchable. If I were competing I am positive the knowledge I have now would be the greatest benefit.

A big congrats to Derek Jeter on his accomplishment. I am a mets fan but I was fortunate enough to run in to him Florida a few years back and had a 1 on 1 conversation with him, he is truly a class act and a very down to earth guy.

With regard to the "motto" I have always been somewhat in disagreement with this statement. I think their are many other events that are just as prestigious as the royal. I did start in the backyard like most of us. I also had the opportunity to compete at the royal invitational and passed on it.

When I joined the Bandera Brethren, the focus was on New Braunfels Bandera. I loved Bandera 101. My brother in law who does auto body souped it up... this was an upgrade from my NB Black Diamond that he also souped up...With what we learned from the website and trial and error we felt confident enough to do a competition or two with our back yard equipment and did very well....Thanks to my mentors, Purple Turtles, I had the opportunity to go to the American Royal Invitational and Open in 2007....

After watching Derek Jeter get his 3000th hit with a home run and 5/5 hits and a stolen base...

I just wondered who else has gone from the Backyard to the American Royal...BBQ Brethren's motto?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sorry Sled that you passed on one of the best contests...Really helped me put into perspective what it is all about... 100 teams Invitational, 500 Open...30 plus teams Westport...

I expected a few more responses on this thread...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

i made it to the AR in 2008.. 4 years after my first contest...

and unlike Mr Negative up there...... i went to the AR, and went to the Jack the same year.

BTW, in my opinion.. The AR invitational is the big boy... competing against ALL the Grand Champs in the country, as opposed to the few LUCKY enough to win a draw is a bigger challenge... and when you look around at kemper, and the glitz of the American Royal, you know you have arrived.. when u look around at the jack, well, it could be the contest around the corner. ..

besides.. 'From the Backyard to the American Royal' sounds alot better than 'from the backyard to jacks yard..'

I am a new guy here but I think you are all missing the true meaning of the slogan.

We are all BBQ Brethren.

EVERYONE from those that cook on propane gas in their BACKYARDS all the way to those that cook at the AMERICAN ROYAL. We are one Brehtren. The spiritual connection we have is found in the smoke not in the place we cook. Being Brethren should have nothing to do with advancement through the evolution or stages of competition. It's about all of us being connected by the smoke, no matter where we cook.

From the Backyard to the American Royal

I am a new guy here but I think you are all missing the true meaning of the slogan.

We are all BBQ Brethren.

EVERYONE from those that cook on propane gas in their BACKYARDS all the way to those that cook at the AMERICAN ROYAL. We are one Brehtren. The spiritual connection we have is found in the smoke not in the place we cook. Being Brethren should have nothing to do with advancement through the evolution or stages of competition. It's about all of us being connected by the smoke, no matter where we cook.

I think you got it right.

and unlike Mr Negative up there...... i went to the AR, and went to the Jack the same year.

BTW, in my opinion.. The AR invitational is the big boy... competing against ALL the Grand Champs in the country, as opposed to the few LUCKY enough to win a draw is a bigger challenge... and when you look around at kemper, and the glitz of the American Royal, you know you have arrived.. when u look around at the jack, well, it could be the contest around the corner. ..

besides.. 'From the Backyard to the American Royal' sounds alot better than 'from the backyard to jacks yard..'

Yep.

Just my two cents. I've been into many sports and hobbies for most of my life. BBQ, like many recreational activities, is one of those things that if you run into a stranger that is also into smoking/cueing, you instantly have a connection and you just get it. All this, and I get to have my family and friends together, enjoying good food and good company. Not looking to get into competitions, just being known as the local hero! My fans are my wife, my kids and my buddies. That will always be enough for me.

We are all BBQ Brethren.

Pretty good!! :clap2: Thats real close to the original intent....Heres some history...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=549129&post549129

Thanks Phil,

I appreciate the same about AR...but you were there in 2007 and saw us as squatters until Bill Arnold came with most of our borrowed gear in his pickup. I was the artfull dodger collecting all necessary items from BBQ Brethren that we(Nancee) arranged through your website...I wore the BBQ Brethren T Shirt that you gave me and was welcomed every where I went..it felt great being a BBQ Brethren...and it was an awsome experience...I have never had so much fun and been so exhausted...I did it...from the Backyard to the American Royal...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Being a relative newb, I do appreciate the history and certainly understand the intent of the Brethren. This Forum is soooooo much better than the options. We have friendly, helpful people here that just love their Q. For the most part.... it is not about egos and longevity on the Brethren, it is about helping and learning.
There are 99 positive people here to your 1 negative jerk...

Within the banner of the logo defines a simple purpose.
The phrase BBQ Brethren.... Brothers in Smoke defines a deeper meaning.

Brothers helping Brothers... regardless of stature, tenure, or popularity.
Being there when asked and needed... holding a moral ground.

For myself, its BBQ rubbed with a generous bit of humanity.

We proudly where our Brethren shirts at every event we attend not cause we like the shirts but because we understand what the shirts meaning is and we will always help and promote bbq wherever we go.
2010bbq042.jpg

My wife and I have each qualified twice for Terlingua and haven't gone. I haven't qualified for The Royal and doubt I ever will (dont do KCBS frequently), but if we (the team) did I doubt we'd go for the same reason that we dont go to Terlingua; too much $$$ too far away... Now, being on this side of the mighty Mississippi, IF we qualify for Memphis In May, we'll be there.

Poob, respectfully, I think all 3 (you'd only mentioned 2) have their unique draw & prestige. One could debate that the Dillard/Waycross competition (National BBQ Competition) is right up there too...

It would be nice to see which brethren have gone from the back yard to competition at that level though.

The Brethren did not start out dealing with competition.
When a lot of us started we'd never been to a real competition until we showed up with our Beverly Hillbillies rigs. But, man did we learn and have fun!
The comp forum was heavily debated before it was started -- some original members thought competition would dilute the "intent" of the Brethren.
Competition is part of this thing we do...but it's not ALL we do. My wife hates it when I'm displeased with anything I cook -- she reminds me YOU'RE NOT IN A COMPETITION! I LIKE MY RIBS TO FALL OFF THE BONE!!

I'd love to do the Royal and the Jack, but probasbly won't. I have done Dillard and The NBBQ News Best of the Best as guest cook for the invitational and open. I'd do them again.

It would be nice to see which Brethren have gone from the back yard to competition at that level though.[/QUOTE]

Yes it would....and I was hoping to learn that....so...who has learned from BBQ Brethren and gone from the backyard to competition at a national level or achieved at a regional level or at a local level...?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back