• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Olive Oil....Do I need Popeye as well! LOL Just kidding. Olive Oil any better than cutting oil??

Figured I would share what my finished UDS looks like. I went with a vikings theme and used engine paint and a magnet. Plus it has the much desired bottle opener mod.

img20110106170629small.jpg

img20110106170639small.jpg

oh I meant to write something about the hole drilling.

I looked for a step bit that went as big as 1" holes and actually did not find one. Apparently that is hard to find. But I decide to try the 1" hole bit.. however I chose one that also has inside of it a regular drill bit that acts like a pilot for the larger cut.

It worked perfectly and was $20 compared to step bit which would be about twice as much.

After drilling with the 1" hole saw with the pilot in it, the 3/4" iron nipples fit perfectly and snug. I then tightened a conduit nut on the inside and another on the outside as far as it goes and it's totally fine. The 3/4" iron nipples actually bulge in the middle and it creates a perfect fit. No need to solder or anything weird like that.

In other news!! I found this great site from Poland with lots of cool info on smoking in general, with some cool baffle ideas for smokers that look like drums:
(http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-plans/smokehouse-baffles)

oh I meant to write something about the hole drilling.

I looked for a step bit that went as big as 1" holes and actually did not find one. Apparently that is hard to find. But I decide to try the 1" hole bit.. however I chose one that also has inside of it a regular drill bit that acts like a pilot for the larger cut.

It worked perfectly and was $20 compared to step bit which would be about twice as much.

After drilling with the 1" hole saw with the pilot in it, the 3/4" iron nipples fit perfectly and snug. I then tightened a conduit nut on the inside and another on the outside as far as it goes and it's totally fine. The 3/4" iron nipples actually bulge in the middle and it creates a perfect fit. No need to solder or anything weird like that.

In other news!! I found this great site from Poland with lots of cool info on smoking in general, with some cool baffle ideas for smokers that look like drums:

Harbor Freight, 2 pack of step bits to 1 3/8" $14.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

Alrighty Brethern...got a couple of barrels at home now. Just loaded up a bunch of pallets and as long as nothing comes up, going to do up a big burn Saturday or Sunday to start the process. Better stock up on beer tonight!

Thanks for the link... Interesting concept with the two baffles. I started using one on my cooks, just using a simple pizza pan with holes in it. Found a larger 16" pan w/ bigger holes that I'm going to modify slightly and try out. I do like using a diffuser, as my meats are more evenly cooked, especially when cooking more than one piece that you can't center over the heat.

Only draw back I've found is it takes a little longer to cook, and use a little more fuel, but for me the end results are well worth it. :thumb:

Thanks for the link... Interesting concept with the two baffles. I started using one on my cooks, just using a simple pizza pan with holes in it. Found a larger 16" pan w/ bigger holes that I'm going to modify slightly and try out. I do like using a diffuser, as my meats are more evenly cooked, especially when cooking more than one piece that you can't center over the heat.

Only draw back I've found is it takes a little longer to cook, and use a little more fuel, but for me the end results are well worth it. :thumb:

Glad I could add something good to the thread.
The "little more fuel" is still a far cry from the GOBS of fuel I had to use with my offset during the colder season. In late Fall I would need over 1 bag of charcoal! But with UDS I can do the same thing with a 1/3rd of a bag in much colder temps of the Winter.

@ Coewar.... Yep! Definitely, the UDS is fast becoming a favorite cooker of mine, and my neighbors!! (they just like my food when I start cooking! lol ) I've got a cheapo offset too, that I was never happy with, so now I've decided to "challenge" myself as to how I can modify or work on it to make it more the way I want it to work. I think a BBQ Guru incorporated to help regulate the temps would be a step, and do some work on a baffle, but it is now a secondary, if not third choice for me! :laugh:

My nephew hooked me up with some new wheels for the drum

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1294505693181.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1294505693181.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 748
  • uploadfromtaptalk1294505724811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1294505724811.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 744
Here is my drum! I want to be able to reuse the lid after I cut it off. Should I cut the lid on top or on the the side of the drum below the lip?

UDS-Edit.jpg

did a 20" ashpan mod on the twins today. used to have 16" 'za pans but i wanted to go big for when i get the 17" coal rings fab'd...if i ever do since i can easily go 15 hours with this setup. guess i'm obligated to trial it. i so dislike meat and fire...

165347_1783731998679_1400856699_31925240_1099614_n.jpg

@ BuckHunter.... I cut the inside of mine, and then took the grinder to smooth all the edges. Weber top hammered out and molded back to fit, added a stove gasket around the top, and good to go!

What did you use for the ash pan?

it's a 20" pizza pan. the 16 worked fine, was cheap & readily available, but if i'm not q'ing more often than not i find myself mod-ing.

on a long burn the 16 fills up - not a choking issue just more cleanup

Ok read this thing and now I need one. Picked up this drum that had apple juice in it today. $15 the guy has about 100 or more here in Apple Valley Ca. Looks like just paint on the inside of it. Flat lid with ring but no holes in it.
IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

Burned out my drum today and started wire wheeling it. Holy **** this is thing is taking for ever to wire wheel out. I've spent about 40 minutes and I've only managed to remove the top 1/3rd of the barrels liner and my hands are killing me now from holding on the drill.

Am I missing a valuable tip in this thread about doing this? And after doing the top 1/3 I'm dreading getting down to the bottom. Am I going to have to lie down with my head in the barrel? I don't want to spend 40 minutes bent at the waste trying to reach the bottom.

Burned out my drum today and started wire wheeling it. Holy **** this is thing is taking for ever to wire wheel out. I've spent about 40 minutes and I've only managed to remove the top 1/3rd of the barrels liner and my hands are killing me now from holding on the drill.

Am I missing a valuable tip in this thread about doing this? And after doing the top 1/3 I'm dreading getting down to the bottom. Am I going to have to lie down with my head in the barrel? I don't want to spend 40 minutes bent at the waste trying to reach the bottom.

The tip is don't get a barrel with a liner :becky:

I'm thinking about sandblasting. I'm wondering how much it would cost to have a barrel sandblasted?

Here is my drum! I want to be able to reuse the lid after I cut it off. Should I cut the lid on top or on the the side of the drum below the lip?

UDS-Edit.jpg

If you want to use the lid you're going to need a drum with a removable lid, the kind with the locking ring.

Back