• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brinkmann Smoke n Pit

Bigowl

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking to enter the competition sport of Barbecue also. So, of course I'm doing my homework and searching for the right grill. I have a budget of about $800 dollars. I'm currently researching the Brinkmann Smoke n Pit with some modifications. It's not the price that I like, it is the availability and the offset barrel size that I like. Some of the modifications I plan on doing is:
1. Removing the smoke stack and placing one at grate level.
2. Adding fireplace bricks at the bottom to even out the temperature
3. Placing to temperature gauges at grate level. One near the firebox and the other on the far side of the cooking chamber
4. Adding a powered draft controller. You can find out about theses at BarbecueGuru.com
5. Extending the dampener
7. Add heavy duty steel charcoal grates from horizon to the cooking chamber

My questions is:
1.Would the mods work to make the BSK a competition grill because with all the mods I'll be looking at about $700 dollars but within budget
2. What advice would you give a first time competitor
3. Is the a better grill that will perform like the BSK with the mods I can get for $800. that has the offset design

Any advice you have will greatly be appreciated. [/FONT]

If you're looking for something within that budget that doesn't require hardly any modifications...then go with a Weber Smokey Mountain. Heck, you could get a 22.5" WSM, and a Stoker control system for around $800.

If you're looking for something within that budget that doesn't require hardly any modifications...then go with a Weber Smokey Mountain. Heck, you could get a 22.5" WSM, and a Stoker control system for around $800.
er

my EXACT set-up.

although, i would suggest a 2nd "something" for doing chicken for comps. the other 3 meats can be done in a single WSM 22.5 successfully fairly easily with proper planning, but all the fussing with chicken really farks things up.

and that is from experience:icon_blush:.

the stoker is an AWESOME piece of equipment, and my Q is better consistently with it than without it, but just starting out, in retrospect, i maybe should've opted for TWO WSM"S instead and then moved into a stoker later.

Can't go wrong with a WSM!:-D
We get by with 1 22" and 1 18" for comps. I bring along an 18" Weber Platinum also, but almost never use it except to make dinner

I gotta agree with the majority here - for competition get a pair or more of WSMs or the Brinkmann and a WSM. As the owner of a NBBD (which is very similar to the Brinkmann) I can tell you that trying to cook all four categories on it would be pretty tough. Not impossible, but difficult - you'll be opening the lid a lot and that can be a big problem since there's no insulation in the Smoke n Pit. There are ways around it, like cooking your briskets and butts first and coolering while you do ribs and chicken, but for the $$ I'd do a pair of WSMs that'll give you WAY more flexibility. You can use different types of wood and run them at different temps, etc. The WSM's will be easier to tote around too!

I can't speak for the WSM but I can tell you the Smoke N Pit is not a good way to go, especially starting out. I've owned one for several years and it's near impossible to get consistent results with it. It has way too many air gaps to be able to keep a controlled temperature. I recently built a UDS and my BBQ has seen a significant improvement overnight. Don't mess with the SNP!

Just finished my first year of competition. Started with the Brinkman and a Traeger Mod 75. Finished the year with three WSMs. Brinkman is inconsistant at best. Traeger can't handle all the shake-rattle-and-roll. The Traeger is back on my deck where it belongs, is used, is loved. The Brinkman is for sale.

Have a UDS, looking to start competing in about a year and a half, planning on buying a Meadowcreek offset (SQ36) in the spring. BUT it sounds like WSM's are the way to go. How often do you have to add fuel to a WSM over a long cook for butts etc? my drum will run forever on one load of K and some apple wood.

Have a UDS, looking to start competing in about a year and a half, planning on buying a Meadowcreek offset (SQ36) in the spring. BUT it sounds like WSM's are the way to go. How often do you have to add fuel to a WSM over a long cook for butts etc? my drum will run forever on one load of K and some apple wood.

If you load up the charcoal basket, you'll have charcoal left over to start your next cook with.

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" is one of the most versatile for your budget and will serve you well. If you are handy then a UDS could be the way to go.

I used a Brinkmann Smoke'N'Pit in competition. With simple modifications made primarily with aluminum foil and a couple extra charcoal grates, I did OK.

BUT - if you'd like to get some sleep. If you'd like to not worry about temperature fluctuations. If you'd like to get a better flavor on your meat.

Get EITHER a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain or a drum smoker . . . or both!

The SNP is OK - and a good place to start with the mods - but you'll be happier in the long run with those two instead.

It's definitely handy to also have a Weber grill to handle chicken duties and cooking meals.

Back