Smoked Duck?

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Went to RD today and on a whim I picked up a 5 lb Duck. It's frozen so I have time to think about this.

Has anyone done a Duck and can you give me an idea of what steps I might try?

Tried to roast on years ago and it was a total disaster. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We love duck Jim but haven't done one on the smoker yet. Usually a holiday dish for us

Well gee Alan, when you do do it, how do you do it. How's that for a line? :becky:

Like what do you think you might do to it when you decide to do it? :becky:

One of my favorites. Do you want to smoke it on a UDS or grill it on a Weber or gasser?

On the UDS, temp around 250 degrees F. around five hours depending on the bird and temp. You'll want to pierce the skin about every inch around the whole bird. Don't just get all stabby with it, just puncture the skin and not the meat. Turn it as often as you can unless you have a rotisserie. If you do have a rotisserie, set it and forget it, start checking the internal temp at around 3 1/2 hours in. Aim for 165. Open the vents some towards the end and ramp up the heat if you want the skin crispy.

On the Weber or gasser, (hiss boo!), put the fire on one side and the flame on the other and cook pretty much the same way as you would grill a chicken, just longer and turn it more frequently. It cooks great on the grill and faster and the skin gets crispier without any extra effort.

Great, now I have to think about crispy duck for the rest of the night.

A real gamey bird when smoked.
Try soaking it in buttermilk over night...kill that gamey taste.
Cooked apple is good with duck.
Try to cover that gamey taste with sweet.

Wrap in bacon. Wild duck is very gamey but farm raised isnt too bad. Wrap the duck in bacon and cook at a higher temp. You want the fat on the duck to self baste it. To keep it from drying out try stuffing the breast cavity with a pear.

When I do duck I marinate it asian style:
Chinese five spice
honey
water
star anise
chili pepper
hoisin
scallion
and a bit of soy.

Once its marinated overnight in a plastic bag place it in a glass dish and put back into the fridge so the skin dries out a bit then into the smoker. I use oak... comes out great for me. I love duck!!! Good luck with it. let us know how it comes out.

Cheers

oh yeah... I smoke mine on the hot side (275-300) so the dry skin crisps up a bit.

Cheers

I hunt/eat/cook a lot of duck each year so granted I can only speak for wild duck. I have never had much luck smoking a whole wild duck. Cut up and grilled, yet eaten rare to med rare at the most- they can't be beat. I have even cut up and smoked some with good luck. Let me know how yours turns out.

We have done them a few times. I used my beer can chicken stands. It worked well as it allowed the grease to run down and off of the meat. I did them at about 225~250 until the internal temp was 165. Everybody liked them at our house.

Scott

I have been wondering if there is a good way to smoke duck too. I have one of our farm raised ducks in the freezer, but all I have ever done is part them and sear with some seasonings and help render some of the fat off and get some caramalization happening and roast. I would really love to smoke one and test it out!

I love doing ducks on my BGE...

I trim any extra fat that I find in the cavity and also slice up 1 Granny Smith Apple and 1 Orange. I also poke the heck out of the skin to allow drainage of the extra fat.
Picture078.jpg

I then stuff both sides of the duck with the apple and orange.
Picture079.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Then onto the BGE at 275* for 3 hours, and then I kick the heat up to 350* just until the skin is crisp.
Picture081.jpg

Here ya go, with a fresh loaf of bread, wild rice, and asparagus with garlic butter, what else could you ask for?
Picture085.jpg

I did it!

First I want to thank all of you that gave me your suggestions.:clap2:

As usual, and as should be, I tried to take all of the advise and make it my own.

As stated before my first duck in the oven was a disaster. But this one was a total success.

I used my own secret recipe rub, same as on beef or butts or ribs or turkey. You get the idea. Pricked the skin as told and used my chicken stander upper in a foil pan to catch the drippings.:becky: Added a beer for good luck.

Put the little guy/girl? on the Bandera at about 250 for four hours. With hickory and an Australian Pine stick.

Next I figured I needed a glaze. What to do? No oranges etc. But I do have Grand Marnier. :clap2:

Took a very very small onion, about two table spoons, diced finely,and sauted in butter until just soft. Add about 4 oz. of GM, one Table spoon of honey and simmered. Longer is better in this case. Now I like to wing it so when the ducky was done, I degreased the drippings and added it to the mix along with a piece of fat from the bottom of the pan. then added lots of butter and simmered some more till it was thick like candy. Added a little water to this and it was done. Came out like to die for.

Sharron was very late getting home so I had to foil and towel the duck for about an hour. No problem. She got home and I served it up. Now I have to say that Shar does not like duck that well and sweet glaze is a no no!

She loved it and said the glaze was what made it. We can have it again.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Because she was late and I was hungry I only got one pron but the pan with the glaze is in it too.

Duck.jpg

Not much left, but, "Just Plain Yummy"

Again, Thanks

I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread! I have a couple Duck breasts in the freezer that are calling my name!

Looks fantastic Jim!!:-D
I like to smoke them for smoked duck and andouille sausage gumbo. The smoked duck adds a different level to the gumbo...

Looks fantastic Jim!!:-D
I like to smoke them for smoked duck and andouille sausage gumbo. The smoked duck adds a different level to the gumbo...

I'll give you my first born son if you tell me how to make gumbo.

Fantastic thread. I have not noticed many threads about duck. So thanks. Well Done Jim and Jeff that was fantastic.

Well, that looks like a few bones and tidbits, must have been tasty.

Back