The KCBS Secret

musicmanryann

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just saw on Facebook what looks to be the secret "Big News" that everyone has been talking about for the past week or so. Looks like KCBS has partnered with SAM's Club. According to Mike McCloud from MMA and Kelly Cain from KCBS,

"Sam's will be the official supplier of KCBS, with lots of other great things planned, including: a club competition series...A Team of the Year Prize purse...sponsorship of major BBQ events throughout the US...member discounts and more!" (paraphrase)

This is pretty cool. Considering how much cash I have given to Sam's since I starting BBQ'ing, it is nice to see them giving some of it back. :-D

YES I have one of those near me! (well 60 miles but that's close here lol)

That'd be awesome. Now if they would stock enough for us, that would be even better.

I would be excited if I could buy decent meat at Sam's :( No packers, ribs in three packs with typically only one usable rack per pack, lousy chicken.

Oh well...
I agree... I stopped buying at Sams couple of years ago for those very reasons....

I do like the thought that they may be sponsoring some/more events.

I just find it funny that it is not announced by KCBS.. Instead, it is on 2 personal Facebook pages and not even on the KCBS website. I mean, unless McCloud and Kelly can speak for KCBS. But then again, I would of thought a deal like this would of had to of been approved byt hte Board before MMA. Then again, I am starting to get that feeling that MMA and Cates are teaming up. As the SOTW series are now going for full KCBS sanctioning...

I welcome Sam's. I am sure it will be better than the Restaurant Depot deal...

That'd be awesome. Now if they would stock enough for us, that would be even better.
Can they order case quantity for you? THere are enough of you going to the one in Ames you think for the summer they could stock up if you asked.

Sam's Clubs will start carrying "PRIME" beef soon. (this info from the "new face of BBQ" for Sam's Club... I can't tell you who that is until it is annouced officially)

I know you could find it in some stores, some times... when a supplier had to ship Prime to fill a order for a lesser grade. But now they will stock it.

Sam's Clubs will start carrying "PRIME" beef soon. (this info from the "new face of BBQ" for Sam's Club... I can't tell you who that is until it is annouced officially)

I know you could find it in some stores, some times... when a supplier had to ship Prime to fill a order for a lesser grade. But now they will stock it.
Prime what? Steaks? Our Costco now carries prime grade ribeye, sirloin and prime rib roast but nothing else. They also dont carry bone in butts or full packers and rarely spare ribs. Luckily our Sam's does sell those.

I just find it funny that it is not announced by KCBS.. Instead, it is on 2 personal Facebook pages and not even on the KCBS website. I mean, unless McCloud and Kelly can speak for KCBS. But then again, I would of thought a deal like this would of had to of been approved byt hte Board before MMA. Then again, I am starting to get that feeling that MMA and Cates are teaming up. As the SOTW series are now going for full KCBS sanctioning...

I welcome Sam's. I am sure it will be better than the Restaurant Depot deal...

I agree that it should have been announced on the KCBS site first - so they could link their facebook posts back to the site to create traffic to go there.

That said, I think facebook is a great way to get the word out. Over 3,300 people could possibly see that message instantaneously. We can't dismiss how fast social media gets the word out as it pushes the news rather than makes users come and find it.

Prime what? Steaks? Our Costco now carries prime grade ribeye, sirloin and prime rib roast but nothing else. They also dont carry bone in butts or full packers and rarely spare ribs. Luckily our Sam's does sell those.

It is my understanding that they will have Prime Briskets as well as all the steak type products.

Can they order case quantity for you? THere are enough of you going to the one in Ames you think for the summer they could stock up if you asked.
From what I've seen, you could always get 'case prices' but you had to buy the case sight unseen... Yes, you'll get the weight at a lower price but you don't get to select the meat.

I've had no problems with Rest. Depot since they go by 'Case Weight' and not simply the weight of a case. In other words, you could select 6 briskets from the shelf and as long as their combined weight is greater than the 'case weight' you get the lower price. Now on the other hand, I understand that there aren't as many Depots as there are Sam's Clubs and that I'm lucky that I have both some what close to me, but I'll stick with Depot.

From what I've seen, you could always get 'case prices' but you had to buy the case sight unseen... Yes, you'll get the weight at a lower price but you don't get to select the meat.

I've had no problems with Rest. Depot since they go by 'Case Weight' and not simply the weight of a case. In other words, you could select 6 briskets from the shelf and as long as their combined weight is greater than the 'case weight' you get the lower price. Now on the other hand, I understand that there aren't as many Depots as there are Sam's Clubs and that I'm lucky that I have both some what close to me, but I'll stick with Depot.
I'm with you. It's better than anhour to RD from my house, but i have found their staff and selection far above par, whether in meats or general merchandise. Always helpful people. As long as I can had-select my product, I'll make the drive.

Last time I went to Sams I bought two cases of butts (all they had at the time) and they were mostly pretty crappy.

They wouldn't let me open the boxes to look at them, not that it would have mattered because they only had three or four more in the case anyway. Price was good though, I'll say that much.

Back