Grilled Fried Chicken Experiment

Does anyone have a link for a thread on wilburpan's method? If you do, you know more than Google does. (Don't think that justifies a prize though.) Thanks!

DerHusker; I just tried this and it came out WONDERFUL... Thanks so much for sharing it. Use the straight-up recipe with one exception; with your comments I tried baking powder instead of baking soda. I thought it was fine but the wife said try baking soda next time, so I will.
Did it indirect on the kettle at about 355º with some cherry wood small pieces.
I used boneless thighs. Brined them. Dredged both sides, then let them sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. Then rolled them up, toothpicked them, then onto the grill. Took maybe 20 minutes or so to get to 165º.
I could not believe how good they looked when I opened the lid!
Very nicely crisped skin, and the chicken underneath was juicy and flavorful. Two of those thighs disappeared very quickly. :)
I noticed one thing... The dredge on the inside of the roll did not crisp, of course. But when it mixed with the juices in the chicken and came off onto the plate, it was like a really good chicken gravy. Had not been expecting that but it was pretty cool... I can work with that somehow...
Next time... I will coat the back side of the boneless thigh with a chicken rub I make, then add some of that rub to the flour mixture. But I dunno... I kinda liked that gravy...
I might try some bright colored BBQ sauce I've made on a couple and see if the skin holds its crispness after a light, late, saucing. But if it doesn't, I'll kill the sauce. These are plenty good without it...

Here's a photo taken after dinner. The skin on this looks a little more moist than it really was; this piece sat with the exposed side down for a few minutes and picked up the juice. Fresh off the grill it was crisper than this.

But man... that's good... Thanks again!

20150420_193628_zpstjiufeel.jpg

will this work on a wsm say upper grate?

Don't see why not... Get your temp up to 350º or so and give it a go. If I was doing a dozen of them, I'd do them on my WSM. But I was only doing four thighs and the kettle looked neglected... ;-)

The more you smoke on that thing the more you'll like it. I have not had anything come out of it that wasn't delicious...

Charlie

DerHusker; I just tried this and it came out WONDERFUL... Thanks so much for sharing it. Use the straight-up recipe with one exception; with your comments I tried baking powder instead of baking soda. I thought it was fine but the wife said try baking soda next time, so I will.
Did it indirect on the kettle at about 355º with some cherry wood small pieces.
I used boneless thighs. Brined them. Dredged both sides, then let them sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. Then rolled them up, toothpicked them, then onto the grill. Took maybe 20 minutes or so to get to 165º.
I could not believe how good they looked when I opened the lid!
Very nicely crisped skin, and the chicken underneath was juicy and flavorful. Two of those thighs disappeared very quickly. :)
I noticed one thing... The dredge on the inside of the roll did not crisp, of course. But when it mixed with the juices in the chicken and came off onto the plate, it was like a really good chicken gravy. Had not been expecting that but it was pretty cool... I can work with that somehow...
Next time... I will coat the back side of the boneless thigh with a chicken rub I make, then add some of that rub to the flour mixture. But I dunno... I kinda liked that gravy...
I might try some bright colored BBQ sauce I've made on a couple and see if the skin holds its crispness after a light, late, saucing. But if it doesn't, I'll kill the sauce. These are plenty good without it...

Here's a photo taken after dinner. The skin on this looks a little more moist than it really was; this piece sat with the exposed side down for a few minutes and picked up the juice. Fresh off the grill it was crisper than this.

But man... that's good... Thanks again!

20150420_193628_zpstjiufeel.jpg
Nice! Although it's no really my idea / recipe, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Back