Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Me too. Gonna get this smoker dialed in got some comps to go to this summer.

How did you light the coals, minion or fuse. On my first run, I essentially did what you did and overshot temps to 275F. The only difference is I filled the water pan with 7 gallons of boiling water and I used the minion method to light the coals.

I am going to try the same thing, but close the vents when I am 100F away from my target and let the guru raise the temps slowly.

I use the same method I use in my Backwoods, which is the same thing that Chris suggested. Leave a void in one corner (I use the left front corner) and pour the lighted coals in that corner. I think you could call it a variation of the Minion method.
I tried closing the second vent at 190 degrees, but the temp rise really slowed down. The temp came up much faster with both vents open and I did not have a problem with overshoot. I think I will keep doing it that way.
In my Backwoods I close the first vent completely at 175 and close the second vent down to 1/4 inch open at 200 degrees - then fine tune from there.

I use the same method I use in my Backwoods, which is the same thing that Chris suggested. Leave a void in one corner (I use the left front corner) and pour the lighted coals in that corner. I think you could call it a variation of the Minion method.
I tried closing the second vent at 190 degrees, but the temp rise really slowed down. The temp came up much faster with both vents open and I did not have a problem with overshoot. I think I will keep doing it that way.
In my Backwoods I close the first vent completely at 175 and close the second vent down to 1/4 inch open at 200 degrees - then fine tune from there.

Good pointers! Thanks. Its kind a cross between minion and fuse...Will give it a shot for sure. When I lit the coals, my void was in the center, that was a disaster to say the least...Bringing the temps down took an hour...

Thanks again....Cant wait for meat coma!

What are you feeding your LSGVS this weekend?

1-brisket
2- butts
4- st.louis ribs
2- beef short ribs
Southside market sausage

f445681ce9c35d08cffa1350af4e288a.jpg

Last edited:
What are you feeding your LSGVS this weekend?

You got a nice spread there...

I will be doing the following:

2x18lb Prime briskets :biggrin1:,
1xrack of st Louis rib,
3 racks baby back ribs,
10 Earl Campbells hot links (yes that's cheating, but they are soooo gooood),
bacon wrapped jalapenos,
and gonna try moinks as well

You got a nice spread there...

I will be doing the following:

2x18lb Prime briskets :biggrin1:,
1xrack of st Louis rib,
3 racks baby back ribs,
10 Earl Campbells hot links (yes that's cheating, but they are soooo gooood),
bacon wrapped jalapenos,
and gonna try moinks as well

What time is dinner? :mrgreen:

I wanted to thank everyone here for posting advice on temperature control and fire management. My second smoke was flawless, been holding at 225 for 12 hours now, and never overshot once.

I started with approx 30lb of KBB, and lit the front left corner of the charcoal basket. When I hit 125F, I closed the second valve down, cut the smoke stack down to 50% and let the guru take over (came to temp just over 45min). I also filled the pan to the brim, with hot water from the sink, and did not boil it first. My guru is set wide open as that seemed to be the best setting with 1/2 stack open.

Meat coma scheduled for 6pm....will post results tomorrow :)

I got approximately 23 hours. I lit the firebox at around 6pm Friday evening, and had to add a few more lbs of charcoal at 5pm Saturday afternoon to extend time to 7pm. There were still coals left when I choked the fire at 8pm. I used more fuel this time, as I kept the water pan fairly full with warm water as apposed to boiling water. I believe I burned more fuel than the last due to the lower temps in the water I was adding. The guru would have to work harder to stoke the fire to hold temps. No complaints really, just a slight observation.

For me, this second run was pretty flawless. The smoker and the guru held temps for 28 hours at 225. Temps would rise by 10 degrees when I open the door to access meats etc, but would recover back to 225 in about 15 to 20 min, like clockwork. Very impressed in how easy it is to work with.

Yes. I guess having water at ambient temp vs pipe temp is better. What's your fuel consumption fully loaded.

I don't know how to calculate fuel consumption unless you maintain your pit temp until the fuel runs out.
My cooks are usually shorter than that and once the food is done I don't monitor the pit.
An interesting side note. On a recent Saturday I added lit KBB at 1 PM. I had about 25 lbs total charcoal. I shut down the intake and exhaust vents when the food was done. The next morning I noticed the pit temp was still 125. I opened one intake vent and the exhaust vent before I went to church. When I returned at 1 PM the pit temp was 270 degrees. It was still 245 degrees at 5 PM, 28 hours after lit charcoal was added. I didn't check the pit after that - cocktail hour, you know.
Since then I have decided to let the pit burn itself out after the food is done. Otherwise you won't be able to clean out the ashes the next day.

I went for 18 hours with temps up to 350 for a few hours after I was done cookin. It would have went longer but decided to empty the ash tray and basket coals so I could put the smoker back in the garage. It was 200 for a few hours before cooling down with no coals.

Are any of you running this without a guru just wondering how good it runs without one.

I'm either going to get a guru or upgrade my stoker.

I'm either going to get a guru or upgrade my stoker.

I have used the guru on my wsm and on this cabinet smoker, and honestly it's the best investment in my bbq experience. It truly is awesome at managing temps, so you can either get some sleep on long cooks or tend to what life passes you.

When I remember the sleepless nights managing fire and vents...I don't miss them at all :)

I have been using my Stoker Fan system for a few years with my WSM. I have the older one w/o WiFi and was thinking about either upgrading since I have all the probes already or just going all out and getting a CyberQ. I wish it was water resistant. That would make it a pure 100% buy.

Lighting Up

Do yall use the GURU as soon as you put in your lit coals or wait till it reaches certain temp to start up the GURU?
Also do you put the GURU in the front on the end that the starter coals or on?

I don't use a guru or any type of temp controller. I have a IQ120 but wasn't happy with the way it performed and decided to no longer use it. It picked up a 2nd 2" ball valve and rely on the ball valves to controll my temp. It may take a little longer to get up to temp but I'm able to hold it for hours at the same temp with just the ball valves. I'm still able to get some sleep with just the ball valves and haven't had an issue with the temps dropping/spiking while I leave it unatended. Like I said it does take longer to get up to temp but works just fine with the ball valves once up to temp.

Do yall use the GURU as soon as you put in your lit coals or wait till it reaches certain temp to start up the GURU?
Also do you put the GURU in the front on the end that the starter coals or on?

Yes, I setup the Guru as soon as the coals are lit. It really makes no difference where you place it.

I normally leave all vents wide open with the Guru running. It will run at full blast. As soon as I am 100F away from target temps, I close the second ball valve down, and then shut my smoke stack down half way, and let the Guru stoke the fire to the target temps. The last smoke went flawlessly and never overshot temps. I can hit my target temp of 225F within 45 minutes to an hour of lighting my coals.

Yes, I setup the Guru as soon as the coals are lit. It really makes no difference where you place it.

I normally leave all vents wide open with the Guru running. It will run at full blast. As soon as I am 100F away from target temps, I close the second ball valve down, and then shut my smoke stack down half way, and let the Guru stoke the fire to the target temps. The last smoke went flawlessly and never overshot temps. I can hit my target temp of 225F within 45 minutes to an hour of lighting my coals.

Thanks....how long does it take for a 12-14lb brisket at 225 to cook. I do upto 160 and then wrap to 200ish

Back