Mt. Vernon King City showdown

S

Smokin Diablo

What's smokin Brethren, I am recoupin from the King City BBQ and music festival held in Mt. Vernon, Il this past weekend. This was only our third competition and we finished 15th out of 47 so we are thrilled. I have never posted pix before to the site so I hope I have it right. Thought I would ask for some feed back on our turn in boxes. We finished 10th chicken, 11th ribs, but not so good in pork and brisket.

Attachments

• brisketmtvernon07.jpg
    brisketmtvernon07.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 63
  • chickenmtvernon07.jpg
    chickenmtvernon07.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
  • porkmtvernon07.jpg
    porkmtvernon07.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ribsmtvernon07.jpg
    ribsmtvernon07.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 65
Congrats on your finish, thats awesome. It might be the picture, but those brisket slices look THICK. How was the tenderness?

scored all 8's from 2 judges, 5's from 2 and a 6 and 7 from the other two.

looks good are the 2 ribs upfront double boned or singles? they looks huge brisket does look pretty thick. usually about a pencil thickness for brisket

*scratch an sniff mod

All the ribs were double bones. We think we need to cut it down to singles. I guess we need some brisket cut n practice too. Thanks for the feedback.

From an eater's standpoint...YUM!

From what I gather that judges look for...

Brisket slices look dry and thick. Might be the picture but comparing the sauce on the top to the actual meat, it looks dry.

Too much sauce on the chicken. Try thinning it out with some apple juice or melted butter and put them back in the heat before you put them in the box so the sauce will carmelize. (Not burn!!)

Pork looks nice but I would put more in the box. Also be careful with big hunks of bark. Looks real nice but could be dry on the inside. Be sure to sample some first.

I would go with single bones on the ribs. The judges are only going to take one or two bites of each rib. Make it easy as possible on them. If they decide to pull them apart to test for tenderness and one of the bones just slips out, they might think it's overcooked. Don't give them anything else to think about. You just want them to pick up the rib and bite.

Good stuff Bigmista, thanks for the feedback. We need all the help we can get. We really enjoy competing and working on the turn in's, as well as the companionship over a few cold beverages. Practice is the best part.

It's kind of hard to tell with the quality of the pictures.

I agree with the statements about the brisket looking too thick. Pencil thickness is the general rule of thumb. I think you got real lucky with the chicken because it doesn't have a nice appearance with the lumpy looking glaze/sauce. Can't comment on the ribs due to the quality of the picture.

The pulled pork looks to be lost in the garnish and it appears to be real skimpy proportionate to the garnish. The garnish actually looks real simple in a good way on all the other turn-ins.

Being that I compete IBCA it is hard for me to comment on garnish turn-ins, but that is my feedback.

Is your team name the same as your user name? I didn't know any other Brethren teams were gonna be there. I stopped by Ulcer Acres after judging. Always nice to spend a little time talking with a brother.

Back