I need help with what/how to cook on UDS!

W

willm

Hi all.

I'm new to your forums, and new to smoking meats. Just found out that all that bbq-ing I've done for years wasn't bbq-ing...it was grilling! With propane...

So I followed the UDS thread and made my own smoker. Tried it once, with ribs, and it was fabulous!

But I'm lacking in imagination/experience (and can't get into your recipe area until I've made an unknown number of posts here).

What can I cook? How long and how hot? Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Details are good.

Thanks!

ps. I'm from Canada, eh?

Hi all.

I'm new to your forums, and new to smoking meats. Just found out that all that bbq-ing I've done for years wasn't bbq-ing...it was grilling! With propane...

So I followed the UDS thread and made my own smoker. Tried it once, with ribs, and it was fabulous!

But I'm lacking in imagination/experience (and can't get into your recipe area until I've made an unknown number of posts here).

What can I cook? How long and how hot? Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Details are good.

Thanks!

ps. I'm from Canada, eh?

I would suggest pork butt or fatties. Pork Butt is very forgiving and what I started practicing on. I take the pork, to an internal temp. of 170 or 180 and then spray with AJ, foil it and put it back on the UDS, till it reaches 205 internal. Place it in the cooler and let it rest for an hour or two.
The fatties you smoke for about 2.5 to 3 hours or until you reach 160 internal. Good luck. You can also use the search feature to get some ideas. Good Luck.

I like the picnic better than the Boston Butt. If timing is an issue I would cook country style ribs.

Thanks for those tips, I'll look for a pork butt to try next.

What's 'cattle call'? And dare I ask what 'fatties' are?

For Fatties you can get a Jimmy Dean style recipe online. Jimmy Dean doesn't cross the border!! I've had a lot of fun doing some of the fatty variations, mostly stuffed but some bacon wrapped and some stuffed and wrapped. Pulled pork is my families favourite and everybody loves a pulled pork sammy with coleslaw!! Variations are sauce on,off or on the side and creamy or vinegar coleslaw. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

It's the place where you do a little introduction of yourself (not in Q-talk). Fatty is something you'll want to try on the uds (keep reading and you'll discover the holy grail on fatties)!

I would try a butt to. Good thing to get your feet wet with.
Be sure to get it up to at least 195, I like around 205. If you don't get it's internal temp up there it won't pull or shred it will only slice, which is good but shredded or pulled is better. And those temps the fat down better.

Oh, also on this board food pron is very important!!!!!!!!!!!:-D
Hope you got a camera, cause if there is no pics it did not happen. And if your married don't worry about your wife wondering and laughing at you for taking pictures of your Q. We all go through that,:lol:

Very pretty up you way, been to Parksville to play croquet and Campbell River to fish. Nice country, eh.

I too agree with the Pork Butt... By far the most forgiving...

Fatties are simply pork sausage that is stuffed with just about any thing (such as pepper jack cheese or our new favorite is Fetta Cheese, Clametta Olives, marinated Japs and garlic) and then smoked... There are a few simple rules though....

1. Make sure you seal them well our you'll end up with a 'blow out' where the seam bursts and the stuffing starts melting out... In my family this is also known as the cooks serving... I try to have at least one blow out every time I cook them...

2. Always (and I mean ALWAYS) make more than one. Remember the saying two is one, and with one, you get none... These things fly off the plate so fast you'll just be missing out...

If you have any other questions, just ask... there are about 6,600 people in some thing like 96 countries just wanting to make sure you do the best BBQ you can.

Mad Max - those sound great to have for a gathering of friends! I'd prefer the savoury flavour, so maybe there is a non-sweet dip for them?

Divemaster - I like the sound of those fatties!

Is there a recommended diameter/size/thickness for cooking purposes?

Is there a approximate length of time per inch of thickness for smoking?

There is a very good chance I may get fat, hanging around here...

Divemaster - I like the sound of those fatties!

Is there a recommended diameter/size/thickness for cooking purposes?

Is there a approximate length of time per inch of thickness for smoking?

I usually flatten out the sausage to a little over 1/4 inch, fill, and then roll it back together. It works better if you do this over plastic wrap so that once it's back to a 'log' you can wrap it in the wrap and chill it over night in the fridge or if your in a rush, a couple of hours in the freezer. I usually figure about 2 hours cooking time (each fattie is made from 1 pound of sausage).

As for the stuffing, just let your mind wander... like I said, the feta cheese is one of our favorites, I make up one with pepper jack cheese & sautéed onions (and garlic) for my 5 year old nephew & 8 year old neice... They love a slice of fattie on a bisket for breakfast before school...

There is a very good chance I may get fat, hanging around here...
Who do you think they made up the Atkins diet for????

Last edited:
I think a fattie can only be better with bacon!!

Picture017.jpg

bacon rules around here too!

Willm

Personally, I would just get the breakfast sausage, squeeze it out of it's wrapper, sprinkle it with some rub and put in the UDS for 2.5 -3 hours. Internal temps should be between 160 and 170. Slice and eat.

I think you should start with a plain so that you have a baseline for all future cooks.

If you don't want pork, I like to take a chicken cut into halves, rub them down with butter or olive oil and rub with whatever rub you would like (Plowboy's yardbird rub is perfect), and smoke it at about 300* for about 2 hours, or until the leg/thigh joint gets easy to twist. Serve it hot with your choice of sauce. Damn good eating.:-D

Bigmista was right but i would start with a breakfast sausage, an Italian, a hot, a maple and possible a mild.
Never make only one fatty. You will understand soon.
jon

Back