First time sausage (Pr0n)

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For Christmas I got the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment and a sausage stuffer attachment. I tried my hand at making chorizo. It turned out pretty good but I did learn some things.

1 - Chill the meat means make it close to freezing
2 - Chill the grinder
3 - I think a different stuffer would work better

Anyway here are the photos.

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

You will always learn something with each batch of sausage you make. Keep it up, it is always fun to do, and whatever you make will be better than what you can get at the supermarket. Looks great to me! Congrats on the new equipment ( the start of something good). :clap2:

You will always learn something with each batch of sausage you make. Keep it up, it is always fun to do, and whatever you make will be better than what you can get at the supermarket. Looks great to me! Congrats on the new equipment ( the start of something good). :clap2:

Thanks. I have a list of ones to make from my wife:
Andouille
Boudin
Keilbasa

Boudin and Andouille are hard to find around here in the stores but we love them. I do plan to do some venison and wild hog since my brother in law hunts.

It's going to be a fun year. :)

I had never really thought about it before...but damn this makes me want to get the meat grinder/sausage stuffer attachments and make my own sausages. I wasn't even aware this was an option on the KitchenAid!

Great looking sausages.

What's funny is that making chorizo was the first thing I did with mine. I don't have the stuffer nozzles as my wife doesn't want me doing that. :crazy:

I got the whole kitchen food processing attachment set as a xmas present. Haven't used it yet though. I'm hoping it's good enough for some occasional hamburger/sausage.

Not to offend but a meat grinder in not a stuffer.It can do it but if you enjoyed this round think about investing in a stuffer.It makes all the difference.

Not offended. It has a stuffer attachment that feeds the ground meat into the stuffing. It will work for now but eventually I will invest in one of the press ones.

I had never really thought about it before...but damn this makes me want to get the meat grinder/sausage stuffer attachments and make my own sausages. I wasn't even aware this was an option on the KitchenAid!

They have a slew of attachments including a pasta press and cutter but that's another forum. :becky: Though, BBQ ravioli is in the works.

I just got my own meat grinder a few months ago. Prior to that I always used a friends. He has a stuffer, and a mixer. I dont have a stuffer yet, but will have one shortly. When we use his equipment we can make 20 pounds of brats in the same amount of time it takes me to make 8 pounds. A dedicated stuffer is the ticket.

I have made Bratwurst, Venison Bratwurst, Smoked Sausage, Venison Smoked Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, and Vension Breakfast. Next up is Kielbasa, and then Chicken w/Sun dried tomatoes, followed by some Italian.

I have never eaten Boudin, although I bought some at Krogers over the weekend so I can decide if I should make some.

You are correct keep the meat near freezing, and put your grinder parts in the freezer if you can. Another trick is get a lazy susan. When you stuff the sausage ( using a stuffer ) use the lazy susan to let it coil as you stuff. It works great.

Great stuff. Use of meat scraps and leftovers goes hand and hand with bbq . These are all helpful posts.

I was curious how well the stuffer worked. It's a really inexpensive upgrade to the grinder, which I use all the time. I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant a dedicated stuffer. Where did you get your casings?

I'll bet you learned something else too: homemade sausage is far superior to store bought!

Looks very good, and yes, I see a dedicated stuffer in your future! After a couple batches with the KA I got a 5# vertical stuffer and never looked back.

Nice work and congrats!

Looks like a great batch! :thumb:

I'm with gtr, there is certainly a stuffer in your future. You won't believe how much easier it is with a dedicated stuffer. Just got one a few weeks ago and I love it.

Looks great. I been wanting to make chorizo. I started with that setup. I still use the KA grinder but upgraded to the Dakotah stuffer.

If your interested I can send you a bag of Keilbasa seasoning. I bought four bags from someone but its way to much for me.

At first I didn't like the Keilbasa but since I started grilling it I like it much better. I tried frst two times in the crockpot, they taste much better off the grill.

I'm awaiting a grinder, those look really good.
There's something awfully familiar about the second pic but I can't put my finger on it...

Back