Pork tenderloin questions...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have always grilled my pork tenderloins quickly with high heat to keep them moist. I like the idea of smoked tenderloins for flavor.

So, I did a search of the forum, and now I'm more confused than before. LOL

I'm thinking about doing an injection with some kind of fat. I use an olive oil based injection on turkey and that keeps the breasts really moist. Would that work well with a pork tenderloin?

Another question -- to sear before smoking or not to sear before smoking?

I'm also thinking that pork tenderloin is too delicate in flavor to stand up to a potent rub, so maybe just some basic seasonings, instead. Any comments?

Last, but not least, I found internal temperature targets from 140 to 195 in my search. I'm thinking that lower is better, but will an injection change that?

TIA for your help.

CD

So, I did a search of the forum, and now I'm more confused than before. LOL

TIA for your help.

CD

That is because it is common for folks to confuse a boneless pork loin with tenderloin. It's obvious to me that you are asking about tenderloin, but your search turned up many confused responses.

My personal preference is 135* to 140* then take it off the heat and it will coast up to medium rare. I'll leave the seasoning techniques to the more experienced folks to respond. I don't do pork tenderloin very often.

I agree with Kevin. Easy to throw sound the term 'loin' incorrectly. A pork tenderloin is going to be under 3 lbs if not smaller whereas a pork loin is 7+.

I've only done a few and use a rub like Plowboy Yardbird or a sweet rub. Pulled at 140. The grocer sells a bunch of flavored Hormel varieties. I prefer my own.

Agree with the above comments. I usually reverse sear mine, adding a chunk or two of wood for smoke flavor, then finish with a hot sear and usually take them off when they reach about 145. At that temp, they'll be plenty juicy, so not sure you want to inject them with anything. As for seasonings, I tend towards rubs I'd use on pork or chicken, although you could also try a spice paste as well - olive oil, salt & pepper, and herbs of your choice and also garlic.

the way I do mine, and we simply love it...... I season it like I would a pork chop... I make a thick marinade if you will.... Olive oil, red pepper, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. Roll it in the marinade, or brush it on.

Sear it all over in cast iron skillet. Deglaze the skillet with white wine and worcheshire sauce. Add onions and saute. Put the pork loin back in the skillet then put the skillet into the smoker at about 350-375 for about 45-60 mins (until desired doneness).

Make sure you keep the liquid up just a bit for some awesome gravy... or pot lick. Just enough smoke for flavor, but not dried out at all. My family gobbles it up!

Yes, I am definitely talking about pork tenderloins, and not pork loin.

Reverse sear? Basically smoke the meat up to a certain temperature, then put it on the high heat for a little char?

If I do that, do I move it from from indirect cooking at, let's say, 135 and sear it over direct heat to finish it off?

CD

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. Since you have a Weber kettle, it's great for reverse searing. For me, it combines the best of smoking and grilling. You can also learn more about the whole concept of reverse sear by checking out my article in the latest issue of the Brethren magazine, Smoke Signals:

http://www.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

Here's a recent reverse sear I did with a filet roast:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93647

Let us know how it turns out!

Reverse sear? Basically smoke the meat up to a certain temperature, then put it on the high heat for a little char?

If I do that, do I move it from from indirect cooking at, let's say, 135 and sear it over direct heat to finish it off?

CD

I did a pork tenderloin a couple of weeks ago on my smoker and it came out great - a little rub, slow cooked for about 3 and a half hours to 150 then pulled it off and let it set for 20 minutes before we sliced it up. Didn't dry out at all. Stayed nice and moist.

Okay, I cooked my tenderloins. I lubed them up with some olive oil, and lightly seasoned with Kosher salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, and some dried (homegrown) oregano. No injection.

I cooked them (indirect) at 250-300 until I got an internal of 150. I let them rest, and they were wonderful. Tender, juicy and just the right amount of smoke and seasonings.

I decided not to reverse sear because the meat had already developed a nice golden brown color. I didn't think this delicate meat really needed a bark or crust.

Here's some pr0n...

Attachments

• PorkTenderloin.jpg
    PorkTenderloin.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 101
That looks great! And I agree - a final sear wasn't necessary with that nice brown crust.

Back