What to do with leftover wood chips?

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you do with leftover wood chips? Do you pick them out of the charcoal or do you just leave them be for whatever you maybe cooking next?

If you pick them out, do you save them if they are in decent shape?

Also, a little off topic but on your charcoal, do you always clean out the charcoal after each use, pour new lump in and add the used back in on top?

Leave them.. shake charcoal basket clean the ashes out.. leave the wood and charcoal for the next cook... is my Vote:decision:

To answer your last question....

When I get ready to cook on the uds, I pull out charcoal basket and shake ashes out. Then I'll just pour new lump right on top of the older lump. Then I might add some more wood, maybe not. Just depends on what I'm cooking that day. But I always leave the older chunks of wood in the basket. Never had any problems doing it this way. I cook often, so the older charcoal never sits long enough to go bad.

I like to remove what coals are on the top, then shake out ash and place old back on top. My thinking is that the old coals has some drippings left on them and helps starts the flavoring. Not sure if it realy does but it sure smells good starting out.

I usually use whatever leftover briquettes/lump/chunks in my chimney starter for the next cook. Whatever doesn't fit/isn't needed goes on top of the next ring.

If I am motivated and they (and leftover charcoal) are big enough, I will pick them out and reuse. Otherwise they are a part of the ash I dump. I get my wood for free and I am not running out anytime soon.

Back