• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seasoning smoker

billfish73

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a Pitmaker 58" magum sniper. Can you guys share the best ways to season a new smoker. Do you use Pam canola spray or just plain oil in a spray bottle?. DO I leave the racks in or out and if the racks are left in do they get sprayed too. Also how long would you season for?

Thanks

Whatever you use, DO NO use any form of canola. Been there, done that, it's
gawd aweful smell. Some use vegetable oil; others peanut oil. I use lard. Leave
the racks in, spray/coat them as well. Brand new, I'd season it twice, but that's
me. 3 or 4 hours each time.

For lard, just melt it, then allow it to cool (for your hands), then wipe it all inside and
all over the racks, etc.

I've used Pam and vegetable oil (in a spray bottle). The vegetable oil dripped all over my deck while the Pam seemed to stick better. Just a thought.

I usually use a veg oil and put it on with a paint brush. I like to leave the grates out cause I like to season at as high a temp as possible, You can season them later. Or put them in your oven.

I sprayed my UDS with a generous coating of Pam, while my full chimney was heating up. I then put my half-full basket in, and opened all vents. After an hour or so, I pulled the basket and sprayed Pam again. I did this 3 or 4 times. I even sprayed Pam on the bare metal on the outside.

I'm not saying this is the 'right' way to do it, just the way I did it. I haven't seen any rust yet.

Matt

thanks for all the info guys.

Jester I spoke to George and he recommended a spraying of Pam and 2-3 hour smoke at 250/

Almost done. 15 mins to go and then my first ribs will go on:p

Back