• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone have sausage biscuits and gravy recipes?

You nailed it!!! That's how it's done!

The only thing I left out is we always use our homemade whole hog breakfast sauage...it's been years since I've ate store bought sausage oh and you should make the gravy in a cast iron pan. :thumb:

Also for a little twist, bake the biscuits on the grill, they get a nice subtle hardwood smoke taste.

null_zps243e2953.jpg

Dang now I want me some biscuits and gravy!

I always use a naked fatty for sausage gravy. It adds a nice, smokey flavor. But, there isn't a lot of fat left in the fatty so you have to add some to the pan for the roux. Butter works. :-D

Since I eyeball everything my recipe is hard to follow.

Biscuits:
flour
Crisco
Buttermilk

Chop Crisco into flour then add buttermilk, stir together until the dough is only slightly sticky. Take a piece of wax paper and put some flour on it, then roll the dough in the flour and knead until slightly firm. Press out and cut out biscuits. Cook at 450 until golden brown on top.

Gravy:
Fry sausage in pan
remove sausage, leave grease in pan.
Stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour into hot grease with salt and pepper. Important to get the right amount of seasoning here, because later is too late. one the flour is incorporated into the grease, add milk and stir till smooth. If you have a hand blender, it will help break up any lumps until you get the hang of it. Gravy takes practice.

I always use a naked fatty for sausage gravy. It adds a nice, smokey flavor. But, there isn't a lot of fat left in the fatty so you have to add some to the pan for the roux. Butter works. :-D

I'm with Ron.

Also, as I do with SOS I add a dash of wooster sauce in there, adds a little something to the dish, oh and LOTS of cracked black pepper.

This makes enough for the two of us, usually with enough leftovers for me the next day. Just add a little milk and microwave until warm.

Brown up a half pound of Bob Evans Spicy sausage, when it's done I add 3 Tablespoons of flour to the skillet and shake it around until the flour is stuck to the meat. Meanwhile I heat two cups of milk in the microwave for 3 minutes and then pour it into the skillet. Add some black pepper and stir until it thickens.

Fry up a couple of eggs, bake a can of womp biscuits and split them open and pour on the gravy and enjoy.

Make it with Ky Colonel seasoned flour. No other seasoning needed and perfect every time

I do Mine Like most on Here With the Exception ...I add A Pound of cooked /crumbled Bacon to the gravy as well ...Its Killer ...And Who Dont Love Bacon ! :becky::clap::clap2::thumb::tongue:

I have to say, when I am really being lazy, I add the onions and flour to the sausage, directly on top, fry that up for a few minutes until it gets gummy, then add the water and flour. It works pretty well. Never had any complaints.

Question for you Landarc, does doing it this way create any difference from the way you previously described? I ask because this is the way I always do it, but I would start creating the roux separately if it makes a significant difference.

I gotta tell ya...

I do most of these, and they are all excellent advice.:thumb:

The only thing I can add is...

HAM BROTH!

Use that for some of your liquid, along with cream to make it rich and creamy. Just trust me.:thumb: Just make it with ham hocks like any other broth.:nod:

Last Saturday we used a crumbled fatty for the sausage, and made gravy from bacon drippings with some onions browned in the fat and added flour to make a roux, then added in ham broth, cream, cracked black pepper and the crumbled fatty and let it thicken up.

Back