• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best books

B

bkestler

Hey all,
Looking to get some opinions on what the best BBQ books would be. I'm brand new to this world and wanted to get some kind of base to start with. Any help would be appreciated.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

If I had to pick just one it would be Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly. Great read, great recipes, great pics, great book! But honestly, there's WAY more good info on this forum than all the Q books in the world put together!

Smokin' with Myron Mixon.

+1 Just bought this one and read through it. He has some great recipes and tips for the beginner and for those who "know" everything. I enjoyed it and will be using some recipes in the near future.

If I had to pick one it would be APL's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Barbecue-Smoke-Outdoor-Cooking/dp/1401323065"]Serious Barbecue[/ame]. It's a masterpiece!
It's also unfortunately out-of-print, so it's $100 a copy these days. A good
alternative is his [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-25-Adam-Perry-Lang/dp/006199023X"]BBQ 25[/ame]. It has the most important recipes of Serious
Barbecue in a more concise form.

After that it would probably be Chris Lilly's book.

John

Welcome to the other (the good) side of BBQ!

Few thoughts (personally I like books that have both good reading and good recipes) -
  • +1 on Myron and Chris Lilly's books, they're two that I've enjoyed and used more than most others.
  • Peace, Love, and Barbeque by Mike Mills
  • Smoke & Spice: Cooking With Wood, the Real Way to Barbeque by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison
  • Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang has some good background info (i.e., basic flavor profiles in rubs/spices, sauces, etc.) and recipes
  • Legends of Texas BBQ by Rob Walsh
Here's a book thread in the roadmap section of the forum (i.e., hall of fame threads). http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78441

If you're new to the forums, it's definitely worth spending some time reading through MANY excellent threads in the roadmap section (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818). I read through the various brisket threads last weekend and learned a thing or 10!

APL Serious BBQ reads like a novel, with great info and some of the best pictures I've ever seen in a BBQ book. Myron's new book is great also. If you get those two, you will be off to a great start.......but know it just leads to more and more books!!!

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck!

Agree, if I could only have two books it would be: Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly & Smokin' with Myron Mixon. Although, your collection will eventually need to grow from there as there are many other very nice books also to be had.

Hey all,
I'm brand new to this world and wanted to get some kind of base to start with.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

I would definitely start with Dr. BBQ's Slow Fire. He will take you step by step down the road to proper BBQ.
The others mentioned are all fine but I would START with Slow Fire.

Check your local library. You can checkout lots of books, read the parts you are interested in, and photocopy anything you wish. Then you can go out and purchase any of them you want to own.
I've learned a lot here just reading the responses to others questions. Little of it have I seen in books.
There is a Google search bar at the bottom of the page that searches only this site. Try it.

If I see a book on bbq, I buy it. The 3 cookbooks I always go back to are:

Dr BBQ's Big Time BBQ Cookbook. Ray Lampe
Serious BBQ. Adam Perry Lange
Wicked Good BBQ. Chris Hart and Andy Husbands.

ML

Dr BBQ's Big Time BBQ Cookbook. Ray Lampe

This is a good book and covers advanced techniques like injecting and also has many recipes. I've made a few of the recipes and they're good.

If I had to pick one it would be APL's Serious Barbecue. It's a masterpiece!
It's also unfortunately out-of-print, so it's $100 a copy these days. A good
alternative is his BBQ 25. It has the most important recipes of Serious
Barbecue in a more concise form.

After that it would probably be Chris Lilly's book.

John

You are not jokin about the $100 thing... I got this book for maybe $32 give or take and have had it for years and still use it quit often... BUT $100 :doh::doh:

You are not jokin about the $100 thing... I got this book for maybe $32 give or take and have had it for years and still use it quit often... BUT $100 :doh::doh:

Yeah, it's crazy town, but it's also a testament to how good a book it is.
I've seen it for as much as $182.

John

I should mention that the Big Ranch, Big City Cookbook is an outstanding
book as well. It's not pure BBQ/grilling, but it's well worth the investment. I
reviewed it here.

BigCityBigRanch_2.jpg

John

I echo the Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book sentiment. Lots of good stories, pretty pictures, and practical recipes.

I haven't had a chance to flip through Myron Mixon's book, but after so many recommendations it's on my "to get" list.

Back