Trouble keeping the smoke going

Hunterman95

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a UDS and a Weber kettle. I've been using the weber more for shorter smokes lately because I've found it really holds temps like a champ, wind/cold/rain/shine. But I am having trouble keeping a consitant smoke going. I typically use chunk wood, but have tried chips (dry) as well. The smoke will be good for 15-20 minutes, then die out. I'd open it up, stir my coals, and it would start smoking again, only to go out in another 15-20 minutes. I've never had this much trouble with my UDS. Any sugestions?

I have a UDS and a Weber kettle. I've been using the weber more for shorter smokes lately because I've found it really holds temps like a champ, wind/cold/rain/shine. But I am having trouble keeping a consitant smoke going. I typically use chunk wood, but have tried chips (dry) as well. The smoke will be good for 15-20 minutes, then die out. I'd open it up, stir my coals, and it would start smoking again, only to go out in another 15-20 minutes. I've never had this much trouble with my UDS. Any sugestions?

What you want is what is referred to as "Sweet Blue" smoke. It is almost invisible. Too much smoke can cause creosote to form on the meat or in the condensation droplets on the top of the cooker and the residue will make your product bitter to the taste.

I guess that could be the case. I am color blind, so it's entirely possible the thin blue smoke is there, and I just can't see it :nerd:

My Weber kettle runs an invisible smoke, but, I can taste it. Trust the taste, not the sight of smoke.

If you have wood you will have smoke flavor. I use to roll smoke during the whole burn. All that did was waste meat and wood... Give your exhaust a wiff you should be happy with the smell of the smokey meaty goodness coming out of there!

Less is more, IMO. There is nothing worse than oversmoked meat. We used 4 fist sized chunks of wood on a 10 chicken cook and a 8 pork butt cook this weekend.

The smoke flavor was totally spot on.

Same here, over smoked meat is the pits...been there, done that...didn't like it.

"Many have eaten here, few have died"

I guess that could be the case. I am color blind, so it's entirely possible the thin blue smoke is there, and I just can't see it :nerd:

After my drum settles in I can't see the smoke either, but I can smell it.

Some one posted here a while back a good test is to put your hand over the exhaust for a few second and then smell your hand. If it smells like smoke, you're good. :thumb:

Back