Your opinion on this sauce recipe, please

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good "sweet 'n spicy" BBQ sauce recipe. I found this one online and it has over 700 reviews at 5 stars and has been saved over 48,000 times.

Two questions please........

1. Should I make it "as is" or leave out the liquid smoke?
  2. Should I forget about this recipe and use yours? (Please share!)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Big-Als-KC-Bar-B-Q-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

I always make a "new to me" recipe exactly as is, and then tweak it to my liking if necessary. Cheers!!!

+1 for making as is.

Please let us know how it turns out. Looks like it will be very thin.

You should make the sauce as is written the first time... then try it without the liq smoke. I did it this way and I preferred to get my smoke from the fire. JMO. It is a pretty good sauce either way.
jlm

As others have said, you can try it as is. I personally would get rid of the liquid smoke. I used to play with it in my sauces some experimenting but quickly found out that it had a certain bitterness that I really don't like. In addition, I think 4 tsp. is way more than I would ever try to use. A little bit of that stuff goes a long way. The only way to find out though is try it yourself.

I disregard any recipe that has Liquid Smoke in it. I can't stand the taste of it. I want real smoke flavor. But I would try it without the liquid smoke.

Here is a recipe I've been using for awhile now that is farkin GREAT! I only do half batches so just use half of what it calls for, also I love hot stuff but this recipe calls for 5 Tbls of crushed red pepper I only use 2 1/2 and 1/2 Tbls of cayenne it call for a full one. I've been adjusting it for awhile now it's great on all meat's I haven't tried it on chicken but butt's,brisket,ribs it's awesome on. I strain the finished product for a smooth sauce ounce it cools for a little bit too.

Williams' Spicy Apple Grillin' Sauce

invis.gif
{0}
invis.gif
{0}
{0}
invis.gif
bluemann.png

{0}
{2}

i'd suggest leaving OUT the liquid smoke to start. you can always add a bit later to test, but you can never remove it. you'd have to make a whole other batch. why bother?

Dump the liquid smoke and substitute a little smoked paprika if you must.

WAY to many ingredients. Ain't nuthin' but a cover up job. KISS

Why not make it as is minus the liquid smoke, then divide the finished amount in half and ad 1/2 of the amount of liquid smoke called for into one. Personally I never put liquid smoke in any of my sauces and try not to buy any that has it in it although sometimes I do. I do use it when cooking indoors sometimes if I even have any on hand, like pan fried hamburgers or pork steak, but that does not happen very often these days.
Dave

Back