Spicewine or FEC 100

T

Todd Ras

I'm debating between the two to purchase for next years BBQ comp season. We don't do a ton of them 5-6 a year tops, but would like to either get a medium custom Spicewine or a FEC 100 to cut down on what we carry to comps. I cook at home as well, so I would want something that's easy and good for both.

Our team cooks on 4 WSM now, but we wanted to get something a little larger. I know the Spicewine folks post on here (and as a Mizzou fan..that's a plus and i'm not too far from Columbia) but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on either model good or bad.

A few questions comp related:

1) With power sources always an issue at comps and we don't currently have a generator, if we got the FEC 100 should we purchace a battery back up. I think Durcell makes a model.

2) For the Spicewine guys....is a Medium model enough room for comp cooking or do we need a larger model for the brisket, butts and ribs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A few questions comp related:

1) With power sources always an issue at comps and we don't currently have a generator, if we got the FEC 100 should we purchace a battery back up. I think Durcell makes a model.

I use a marine battery from Walmart with a Zantrax inverter to power the FEC as well as a couple of lights. I've never had an issue with it. One time I had to scramble since the battery didn't have a chance to charge much before leaving home. I did some serious scrambling when I found out the gang box near me wasn't working when the battery died. Regardless, I wouldn't seriously consider another cooker.

Todd, I would get a FEC 100. Both are good smokers but I fell that the FEC would provide a more consistent temp for a longer period of time. You guys have a lot of team members so the FEC would allow for more partying (or sleeping)!!

Todd, I would get a FEC 100. Both are good smokers but I fell that the FEC would provide a more consistent temp for a longer period of time. You guys have a lot of team members so the FEC would allow for more partying (or sleeping)!!

You know us to well! :heh:

I will place a vote on getting FEC 100's. We do several comps a year and we do run with a battery backup. If your going to do just a few a year you can get set up and running pretty quick.

I've never cooked on a pellet unit but I do have a Med Spicewine and I love it. It holds steady temps all night and if I want to use water I can, if not I don't, I like having the choice. Charcoal is cheap and plentiful so it's cheap to run. It can burn sticks too if you want to get adventurous. And of course it will last forfreakinever.

It's more than enough space for comps but be warned people will stop you a lot to ask about it. They draw lots of attention.

I will add another vote for an FEC-100. Not sure what the Spicewine weighs in at, but the FEC-100 rolls off my trailer (via a ramp) fairly easily and I can use it at home when I'm not cooking comps. It has locking caster wheels that makes it relatively easy to move (I'm a big guy). Plus, I love the sheer ease of use. I like my sleep.

A Spicewine, with a charcoal basket, will go all night just fine. now, me being the ever cautious Diddler,who watches his pit temp like a hawk, still gets up to check it, but I wouldn't need to. They are heavy, so i hope you are young! Just to set the record straight, my Spicewine has 4 GCs and like 6 or 7 RGCs. And we cook an average of 6 contests a year.

FECs are good cookers as well, so you really won't go wrong with either. good luck with your decision!

lookin' to move a patriots blue jambo? :becky:

Yeah that pit will always be a keeper. I have been itching for a new cooker though, the three high on the list are spicewine, komodo kamado and the yoder 640 pellet smoker (yes, all very different).

Yeah that pit will always be a keeper. I have been itching for a new cooker though, the three high on the list are spicewine, komodo kamado and the yoder 640 pellet smoker (yes, all very different).

Great combination. You'll love the 640. That's the one Andy (Smoke On Wheels) and I got to cook on. I believe he has one now so contact him if you are interested in details. I have it on my must buy list.

^^^:becky:

of course it's a keeper! !!! i was only farkin' with ya....

for whatever it's worth to anyone i'm looking at trading the 2 WSM 22's for a backwoods and kettle. i'm a "stuff" nerd.

jambo or spicewine on a trailer would be the end-game for competing for me.

If you want to come down and cook on one let me know.

Back