• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza Oven....YEAH BABY! (Part 2)

tom72

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those of you that were following my original thread, I apologize for the lack of updates. Life has a way of getting in the way...

Anyhow, since my last post is so old I can't post to it anymore, so here is my original post followed by my new progress photos:

Okay, it's not done yet, but I'm really excited that I got off my butt and got the ball rolling on this. I have been obsessed with pizza for years and I've been making my own for as long as I can remember, but I really hate making it in the oven. It still comes out really good, but it's lacking something.

I've played around with a lot of different ideas to modify a grill, as I'm really not a fan of how pizza comes out making it on the grill...I had been thinking of a FrankenWeber type mod.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route completely, so this is what hopefully is the start of something good:

Dug out a hole a little over a foot deep (didn't take pictures of just the hole...filled it with about 5 inches of gravel:

IMG_2885.jpg

I topped that off with about 5 inches of concrete. I didn't get a picture of just the slab (not real attractive anyway, but this is just laying the bricks out to make sure I made the foundation big enough:

IMG_2762.jpg

Here's as far as I got today:

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

Not too bad for a start...next weekend I should get a lot further on it. I'll keep adding pictures as I go. Wish me luck (because I seem to be severely lacking in the skill department!).

Okay, here's the new stuff:

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Well, I'm getting pretty close now. The base is complete, along with the insulation layer. The firebrick floor is set in a slab of 1 part fire clay to 3 parts sand and is currently drying. Next up is to make the arch for the entry and then make the dome. I can almost tase those pizzas already! Thanks for looking!

Love it so far man. I have to get off my duff and build one. Been salivating over them for a couple years now. My kettle attachment that CarolinaQue built me works great. You know you always want the real thing. Let's see more man.

Lookin good. This is inpspiring me to build one of my own. I've always wanted a pizza oven.

Following for sure!

Nice, but you should have offset the fire bricks. So when you slid your pizza peel it doesnt chip the edge, and go in your food.

Update 12.12.12

Well, I was going to go with a nice round brick arch, but discovered quickly that with my lack of knowledge and any real skill, I was going to have a problem getting it done....and I was worried about it holding up over time. Instead I went with this...stacked brick on either side, with steel bars running across the top with bricks set on top of those:
IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Beginning of sand form:
IMG_2874.jpg

Sand form done....this took a LOT longer than I expected. Almost everything so far has!
IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

Covering with wet newspaper:
IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

Building the clay dome:
IMG_28852.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

Well, I got the dome built a little over halfway before I ran out of clay and daylight, so I have picked up more supplies and will hopefully finish building the dome tomorrow. Then it's a matter of getting it dried out without any major cracks and digging the clay out. I'm starting to get excited about this now!

Very Nice, I have a similar build but it is an over under cement pit. One thing, I learned from experience, is that your oven looks greatly insulated underneath, ( I like those bottles ! ) but as you know everything that counts is up above. I had to keep adding tricks to get enough insulation above the pit. My last trick which I really like, was to add the perlite, thermorock to the mortar on the dome. They sell it at home depot a large bag very cheap. It really helps insulate, its like mini volcanic light rocks. You mix it with the mortar / clay and it really insulates. I read about it here somewhere and if you can still add it I recommend it. It can be on the outer or middle layer, doesn't matter.

cool beans man! Looks great.

How high is your entry/arch going to be, compared to the top of the dome? From what I read a while ago, the top of the arch should be 67% of the height of the dome for the best air/heat flow in the oven.

Great build thread. I wish I had some of your skills (which explains why my WFO is not mortared!)

@Guamaque - Thanks! That's actually what I have surrounding the bottles in the insulation layer. It's a mix of perlite with clay slip. Initially I was using sawdust with clay slip, but I found the perlite/clay mixture MUCH easier to work with. After the dome dries out and I cure it, I'm planning on going over the clay dome with the perlite/clay mixture out to the edges of the bricks. That should give me 4-5 inches of insulation around the outside of the dome...hopefully that'll be enough. I'd like to use this for baking/roasting too.

@caliking - The entry/arch is 10.5 inches tall, and the top of the inside of the dome is right at 16 inches. I've read everywhere from 63% - 67% entry to dome height, so I'm roughly 65%...hopefully that will work. If need be, I can close it off by building up clay inside the edges of the entry. Hopefully I don't need to open it up more!

I have 12 inches of mortar / clay / perlite on the top. And I'm cooking at 275' max. It gets warm , but is good enough. For a pizza oven, you need more for sure.

Back