View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I were only planning on cooking one more event this year, I would suggest you and your teammates invest the time to take a CBJ class. At least get an idea of what your turn ins will be scored as. You might think you know how to cook BBQ, but do you know how to cook for what the Judges are trained to critique? It will give you a whole new perspective.

Then shop around for a class, better yet a couple if your teammates can swing one as well.

I've taken in a few BBQ 101 classes put on by an experienced KCBS/PNWBA team as well as Paul Kirks class and helped wash dishes at others to gain some extra knowledge I missed out being a total noob, when I first got into this hobby.
From there I got serious and took a class from Ray Lampe and Jim Minion and started competing. It definitely helped me. Knowledge is power, so while some of the techniques I've picked up from Butcher BBQ, Smoke on Wheels or Rhythm 'n Que were not exactly groundbreaking BBQ secrets, I came away with what Vince calls "nuggets of information" that have helped me to fine tune my game and learn from some very good instructors at the top of their games.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 05-09-2012 at 03:45 AM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote