• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

On Mini-WSM, one big hole or a bunch of small ones...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I drilled a bunch of small holes in my tamale pot for my own Mini-WSM, and I am very happy with it, but being curious by nature, I can't help but wonder what difference it makes.

My "bunch of holes" mini is very good at holding 250 degrees for somewhere between an hour and an hour-and-a-half. It doesn't seem to matter whether I start with all lit coals or a simplified Minion method. 250 seems to be where it is happy -- which is fine with me.

I know many of you have cut the big hole in the bottom of your tamale posts, and some use diffusers and terra cotta in your minis.

I just wonder how much difference there is between the different methods, as far is how they behave.

CD

Casey Dog send us some pictures as I am working on my Mini-UDS and have the same question. I would like to see the bottom of your pot where you drill the holes.

Mine has 1/2' holes drilled, I traced my pattern using the insert from the steamer part and started from the middle and worked my way out til I felt "good" about the number. Needless to say mine is similar in that it will cruise between the 220-270 mark depending on vent placement (I have a sg silver). That all being said I'm either going to build another or modify this one with the bottom cut out. I have a charcoal basket in mine and it is really limited in height due to bottom of the pot still being in tact. I'm getting 12-14 hours out of lump right now (dumb luck I guess) but like the option of maybe going longer.

I think you're more well versed in this thing than I am, but here's my set up. I cut the bottom out, leaving a 1.5" rim for rigidity. The steamer insert is in place as a diffuser. On top of that, I put a 12" terra cotta saucer. On top of that, when necessary, I put the lower rack. The top rack sits roughly 4" from the top rim of the pot. For higher heat cooks, I skip the saucer and have been able to maintain 350˚+/- for several hours. For low and slow, the saucer is in place and it will coast at 220˚-230˚ for up to 5 hours, maybe longer. These results are with natural briquettes (Stubbs and Fresh market brands mainly). With Cowboy Lump, I've gotten maybe 1.5 hours at 300˚. For most of the cooks I've referenced here, I've used a stainless steel colander as a coal basket. Without the basket, I've noticed less consistency and shorter burn times with more coals left unburned.
I've been able to alter temps by as little as a few degrees adjusting the vents on low and slow cooks. It seems VERY sensitive to vent adjustments, in a good way.
I'm using the Smokey Joe Gold and the Imusa pot (Chinese) from Target.

I like my BOH version because it likes to settle down about 230-250. I would like to do high heat cooks for chicken mainly. It is easier to use the pot to transport items if the bottom is not cut out. Recently did a spatchcocked yardbird on the top rack. The second grate was set in the SJ bowl and the pot was set on top of that. I was able to cook at about 300 for a couple oh hours until the chicken was done. Took the pot off and crisped up the skin on the SJ bowl with grate already in place. This worked well for me.

Back