• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Exhaust holes for the lid?
I have seen BDS has holes around the outside of the lid.
Most others have one or two exhaust pipes closer to the outside of lid. Very few with exhaust in the middle of lid. Is there a proper place or does it really make a difference?

Andyll

Your temp problems stem from too much exhaust and not enough intake.
I started out with the big hole open by itself and stuck the thermometer in the smaller one. The temps wouldn't get higher than 220-230° so I added the other 2 holes. It won't be hard to fid the holes in the lid. I'll probably add another intake hole and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep it coming.

Another problem I'm having is my basket is too big. Apx. 15" diameter and 6" tall. I'm thinking of making another ring to set inside that's smaller for the shorter cooks. Maybe something like an 8" diameter.

I started out with the big hole open by itself and stuck the thermometer in the smaller one. The temps wouldn't get higher than 220-230° so I added the other 2 holes. It won't be hard to fid the holes in the lid. I'll probably add another intake hole and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep it coming.

Another problem I'm having is my basket is too big. Apx. 15" diameter and 6" tall. I'm thinking of making another ring to set inside that's smaller for the shorter cooks. Maybe something like an 8" diameter.

Cover all the exhaust holes except for the bung and increase your 1/2" intakes to 3/4" and you'll be jammin!

A smaller basket is nice for smaller cooks! :cool:

Go with what Bubba said.
You need enough air traveling into the fire to keep it going, you have also lost the ability to 'tune' your temps because you are starving it. You need to get to the point where you have too much air in so that you can throttle back and hit the temps you want. If you chose to stay with the 1/2" intakes then add a third and put a ball valve or some sort of air flow control in place.

You can always make a smaller basket to fit inside the larger one.

Most others have one or two exhaust pipes closer to the outside of lid. Very few with exhaust in the middle of lid. Is there a proper place or does it really make a difference?

Andyll
Welcome brother.
The jury is still out on what works better or gives a more even cook so go for what's easier or experiment and see what works for you.

Remember to post pictures.

UDS in the Dictionary

Temp issues or not this thing should be what you see in the dictionary when you look up UDS. The UDS poster child.
KISS, ugly, functional, cheap.

Attachments

• UDS.jpg
    UDS.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,373

Andyll

There's a post somewhere with a template layout that Swamprb swears by...he says it gives the air circulation a swirling effect that acts like a convection oven. Help me out here Swamp! :p

Temp issues or not this thing should be what you see in the dictionary when you look up UDS. The UDS poster child.
KISS, ugly, functional, cheap.
Thank you. That's what I was going for. Although I did just pick up 2 weber grills cheap and I have a lid now.

Im sure im in the wrong spot ugle its not but man it made some great ribs today stainlees steel drum eating maple and hickory pellets sorry the stuff thats hanging off the back is going to get a cover and I will post more then :icon_devil

Attachments

• PIC00002.JPG
    PIC00002.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,365
  • PIC00005.JPG
    PIC00005.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,366
thanks its eating pellets and its a fun deal.. 3 outings and everybody that got some told us it was the best ever first was ribs for me and my buddy and his family 2nd was chicken and corn on the cob for guys from work and todays ribs for me and my family .. right now set the dial @ 250 and its there all day there is a swing of 5 degs we are working on that lol the meat is very moist and the smoke ring is about half way into the meat so far just a fun deal so far we are going to try a brisket next week :p

sf, yes it is really ugly....but growing on me! Take bubba's advise and it may get even perdyer! Experiment a little and it will be just fine. Then stick with what works.

Im sure im in the wrong spot ugle its not but man it made some great ribs today stainlees steel drum eating maple and hickory pellets sorry the stuff thats hanging off the back is going to get a cover and I will post more then :icon_devil

Damn!! What did you pay for the stainless steel drum? I cant touch one for under 300.00!

Im sure im in the wrong spot ugle its not but man it made some great ribs today stainlees steel drum :icon_devil

14bkvwi.jpg

Ohh man that's one he!! of a nice drum! I need a stainless one to go with my gear!

Ok, I am cross-eyed now from reading 141 pages of posts.

But the good news is I am picking up two barrels this week to build my first UDS. And I have a bunch of ideas after reading all those posts. Hope to submit pics of the build soon!!!

well we where dropping off a load of alum <chips > to the metal recyclers and ask them if they had any drums one guy told us to go look around the corner we seen to stainless right away both not shiney lol like now anyway we ask the guy how much he told us go weight them we did and 40 bucks later we left with 2 stainless drums and a hand full of money from the chips ..lol we went back last week told him if he gets anymore to call us should be a looker this season at the cookoffs

Back