Stumps?

Several guys on here have them.... Butts has a wealth of info -- if you search, there were some discussions on them. I got to look at one at the Royal in action - I liked it alot, I will likely be cooking on one next BBQ season.

Yea - if Gator starts selling them and gives you one!! :twisted: After all the good things you said about the Kingfischers you are going to use something else? :shock: Oh, I forgot, you already don't use the Kingfischer - unless you have one with a pellet feed. :confused:

Norcoredneck said:
Has anyone used a Stumps gravity feed type smoker?
http://www.stumpssmokers.com/GravityFeedSmokers.htm

We have several here who use Stumps. BBQMAN1 (Woodhouse), Pork Avenue, RUB, BubbaQ, and others.

One is even a dealer. (He is waiting to announce that little tidbit).

Guess they are not hanging around right now. I assume they will be in shortly.
I may PM them to get them going :twisted:

Good cookers.

TIM

MoKanMeathead said:
Yea - if Gator starts selling them and gives you one!! :twisted: After all the good things you said about the Kingfischers you are going to use something else? :shock: Oh, I forgot, you already don't use the Kingfischer - unless you have one with a pellet feed. :confused:

Now Wayne... when I am cooking in general... I always use the kingfisher. I love the rotisserie. But for contests where it will likely just be Kim, myself, and the two girls.... a stumps or fast eddy is priceless. You saw first hand how easy it is to sleep ( or just drink more? :twisted: ) with that FEC.... what did we take with it? Oh yea, Reserve Grand!!! :mrgreen:

After seeing Parrothead's Stumps at the Royal, and the fact that he said his varies by about 1 degree over a 12 hour cook.... sounds like something I could load in the toy hauler by myself, and do an Ironman :eek:)

I'll always be singing praises on the Kingfishers - they cook great. But logistically, with the toy hauler - it made the KF hard to use this year. We only used it in 4 contests. I will note - we got calls in 3 of the four contests.... so the KF does well on the circuit too. But without 4 HoDeDos to help load it, I'm looking for backup options like the stumps :)

So how are you liking the new Spicewine? Looking forward to getting mine.

I too have a Stumps on order. I ordered it Sept 15th and am expecting it near the end of November. That's the only drawback, but since they are custom made by hand, that is acceptable.

I chose it because of the gravity feed charcoal delivery system. I looked at the Spicewine and the Backwoods. They both look like great units too but I decided to skip the charcoal basket and go for the GF. Also since storage was an issue with me, I needed something that I could store on the patio or in the garage, plus be able to use it at competitions. The fact that you don't feed it logs all night long was a plus.

Sure Norcoredneck, send me a PM or an e-mail and I'll be happy to share my experiences with the GF. I cook on a GF222CM. Join the Stump's forum and ask questions there as well (of course the brethren is the best BBQ forum on the web the Stump's forum surely has more info on Stump's Smokers).

Good for you HoDeDo, I'm sure you'll make Stump proud.:wink:

HoDeDo said:
Now Wayne... when I am cooking in general... I always use the kingfisher. I love the rotisserie. But for contests where it will likely just be Kim, myself, and the two girls.... a stumps or fast eddy is priceless. You saw first hand how easy it is to sleep ( or just drink more? :twisted: ) with that FEC.... what did we take with it? Oh yea, Reserve Grand!!! :mrgreen:

After seeing Parrothead's Stumps at the Royal, and the fact that he said his varies by about 1 degree over a 12 hour cook.... sounds like something I could load in the toy hauler by myself, and do an Ironman :eek:)

I'll always be singing praises on the Kingfishers - they cook great. But logistically, with the toy hauler - it made the KF hard to use this year. We only used it in 4 contests. I will note - we got calls in 3 of the four contests.... so the KF does well on the circuit too. But without 4 HoDeDos to help load it, I'm looking for backup options like the stumps :)

I just bought a Stumps GF and I am looking forward to using it. I will keep the Lang also. The one youl looked at the Royal did you like all the extra's he has done to it?

scottd said:
I just bought a Stumps GF and I am looking forward to using it. I will keep the Lang also. The one youl looked at the Royal did you like all the extra's he has done to it?

When did you order yours? I am definately chomping at the bit for mine to get here.

scottd said:

Yes... and no.
I like the four tires vs. two.... I wouldnt pay for stainless racks, might make my own, but never had them inthe past, so not a huge deal for me.
Very sharp unit - and everytime I walked by, the Temp was right on... ( We were right across from him, in the expo hall selling Kingfishers.)

My stumps delivers the week after the jack, Mine however will have been cooked on just a few times. Andy do you know who has mine now?

The Stumps that I bought is the one you saw in at the royal, yes the exact one, parrothead's with the stainless stainless steel racks, the extra wheels, also has the mods to attach the wires for a guru through the top of the stumps. He is getting a new stumps custom made as we speak or read, and it worked out for both of us as I was getting ready order a stumps like his and so we made a special deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like my stumps will be coming home right after, John does the Jack Daniels contest. I can't wait. It is going to be so different from my lang. ahh sleep durning the night.zzzzzzzzzzz

Back