Smoker

I don't see no turkey, unless you are calling Obama a turkey...

Listen to these guys, and my favorite temp is 225*. Keep it up, and great pics!
Heck, please forgive the above post!:evil: I was raised in Louisiana, and I still tend to look at the pics first, before reading the texts...:shock: I now prefer smoked turkeys to fried, especially the next day. Somewhere Poo has a great thread regarding smoking turkeys.

What smoker is that? Based on the pictures, lack of air flow to the coals is going to be a challenge. A couple of holes in the pan might help.

You may also have to much airflow with all the daisy wheels open all the way. You're heat is escaping.

And what are you using to take the temp. Is there a door termometer in that pit? Are you sure the temp is correct?
I have both the door and an internal... The temp is correct. I find when the vents are open the temp drops 25+ degrees. I don't open the doors alot, once an hour... is that too much?

T

Man, The first thing you need to do is take your thermomater off and do the boiling water check on it.....Could save you alot of steps, these things esp. cheap ones go out of whack pretty fast!!! Speaking from experiance....

When I put ribs on I don't open my cooker, until they have been on 3 hrs. at 250*, and I'm ready to foil.
If you have no holes in your charcoal pan, put some in, as other posters have suggested. It will allow air to get to the coals. I don't know anything about your cooker, but the basic rules should apply.

I had a smoker just like it a few years back, got it from walmart its a great outdoors smokey mountain I believe, I could be wrong there are others very similar I agree with what has been said so far, you will need to figure out how to get the fire grate up higher to allow more room for airflow and ash. On mine the seams ware the panels meet had gaps big enough I could see daylight through them so I caulked them all from the outside and it helped a lot. In windy/rainy or colder weather try finding an old blanket to fashion around it to help hold the heat better. Now after saying all that start thinking about building a uds.
Dave

I tried to post something with my Iphone, but it would not do it. you are wrong with posting a post with a policital sign, I do not post anything with my policital signs, why, because it is wrong. this is not a policital forum, keep it to yourself. (I guess it's still bbq relative,,,but)

this is a bbq forum that is all it is. fun, brethern, ect.

(I know go to your room, and get banned)

I cooked a turkey last weekend on my smoker. I did a butterflied/spatchcocked bird.

Basics:
1. Cut the backbone out & lay skin side up
2. Smoke over a high heat 350° (almost grilling em)

If you really want to put out a great bird, then I'd brine it overnight & then dry the skin (leave bird uncovered overnight in fridge).

good advice... theres like 2 of the 6 musts to have delicious crispy smoked skin in there:tongue: 214

I tried to post something with my Iphone, but it would not do it. you are wrong with posting a post with a policital sign, I do not post anything with my policital signs, why, because it is wrong. this is not a policital forum, keep it to yourself. (I guess it's still bbq relative,,,but)

this is a bbq forum that is all it is. fun, brethern, ect.

(I know go to your room, and get banned)

<--- rushing to the "mccain - milf" bumpersticker post to see similar post. :lol:

he has a point... I am gonna write in Ducakis/benson again this year and you don't see me posting that online... 211

Knock off the political banter, gentlemen - there's a place for that. If you don't know where it is, ask a mod.

Back